First-Year Seminar Course Requirement
Why the FYS Course Requirement?
HACC, like colleges around the country, has a First-Year Seminar (FYS) course requirement to help ensure your success as a student. All students must meet this requirement by either taking appropriate coursework or using the test-out option (more details about the test-out below).
Evidence exists both on the national level and in data collected by HACC to demonstrate that students who complete FYS courses (also called “college success courses”) tend to stay enrolled in college, tend to have higher grade point averages, and tend to graduate on time at levels that surpass students who don’t take FYS courses. The learning outcomes of an FYS course includes:
- Create an academic plan utilizing the College’s career and advising resources
- Demonstrate goal-setting skills
- Demonstrate acceptance of personal responsibility
- Apply a decision-making model
- Use technology resources including the College’s student portal, email and online course management system
- Locate College policies related to the student experience including grading, attendance,academic honesty, code of conduct, registration and financial aid
Students pursuing a degree are required to take a 1or 3 credit FYS course based on your HACC placement test scores. We strongly recommend that students take this course during their first semester. As you meet with an advisor, you can choose the best FYS course requirement for your program. A full list of FYS courses can be viewed here.
How Can You Meet the FYS Course Requirement?
Take an approved FYS Course.
- It is strongly advised for students who test into two or more developmental courses to take a 3-credit FYS course.
- All other students can take either a 1-credit FYS course or a 3-credit FYS course in order to meet the FYS requirement.
- Your program may have the FYS requirement built into a course that you are required to take, so you may not see a specific FYS requirement in your suggested sequence of courses.
- You may attempt to test-out of the FYS requirement by successfully passing an FS 102 test-out exam. A $10 fee is required to take this test-out option
- Students who pass the test-out exam can then earn 1-credit by paying an additional $46 credit by exam fee.
- If students test-out but do not want to pay the credit by exam fee, they may need to complete an additional 1-credit in another area to reach the minimum 60-credits required for an associate degree.
- More details about the FYS Test-out Option are available at placement testing.
- Students are encouraged to review this information with an advisor and choose the FYS course that will meet your program requirements.