Paying For School

Types of aid

Learn more about the four different types of financial aid.


Grants are free money. You do not have to repay them. You must:

  • Demonstrate financial need on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Most Grants have an enrollment status of six or more credits. The Pell Grant does not have this requirement and is prorated based on enrollment.



Scholarships are free money. You do not have to repay them.

Organizations may base scholarships on:

  • Merit
  • Financial need
  • Other criteria

You should:

  • Start your scholarship search at least one year before you start school.
  • Find out if any professional or social organizations have a chapter in your city. Contact them to see if they offer any national or local scholarships. Examples of organizations include American Business Women's Association, Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary Clubs, Jaycees, 4H and your Chamber of Commerce.
  • Contact employers, unions and churches.



You earn this type of financial aid. HACC does not deduct this type of financial aid from your bill. 

If you are interested in student employment. View a list of job openings.



Loans are borrowed money. You must repay them with interest. Student loans require an enrollment status of six or more credits.


Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship

Under the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Act, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for his or her enrollment status and cost of attendance.
In order to qualify for this scholarship, a student must be:

  • Under the age of 24 years, or
  • Enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death

Students must also be eligible Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible Student Aid Index (SAI) during the award year.

For the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship, the U.S. Department of Education states that a ‘public safety officer’ is:

  • As defined in section 1204 of title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C. 3796b); or
  • A fire police officer, defined as an individual who is serving in accordance with State or local law as an officially recognized or designated member of a legally organized public safety agency and provides scene security or directs traffic in response to any fire drill, fire call, or other fire, rescue, or police emergency, or at a planned special event.

If you believe you meet the criteria to be eligible for the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship, please contact the Financial Aid Office.