Paying For School

Grants are money that doesn't have to be repaid and are based on financial need derived by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Well over half of HACC students qualify for Federal and State financial aid and many receive enough funding to cover their entire tuition bill resulting in a decreased reliance on loans to finance their education.

Grants are available from Federal and State governments and include the following:

Learn more about the PA State Grant (PHEAA) and special programs.
If you are attending HACC, we must be listed first on your FAFSA in order for you to receive the PA State Grant at our school. If you listed another school as the first choice, you must update this information on your own. Go to and log into Account Access. If you have never used Account Access, you will need to create a user name and password.

HACC’s school code is 003273.


Am I eligible for a PA State Grant (PHEAA)?
Many students are eligible for a PA State Grant. You must:

  • Be a PA resident.
  • Have resided in PA for at least one year before completing the FAFSA.
  • Be pursuing an Associate's Degree.
  • Be taking at least six credits per term.
  • Be enrolled in a total of 15 weeks every Fall/Spring term and at least 5 weeks for the Summer term. You are not eligible if you are enrolled only in Late Start classes.

Veterans are eligible to apply for the PA State Grant. The State gives preference to veterans. The State generally does not consider income when determining veterans' awards.


Do developmental courses count towards the six credit hour requirement?
Developmental courses may not count toward the six credit hour requirement.


How would I lose the PA State Grant?
You will lose the PA State Grant if you:

  • Have more than 50% of your credits through Internet or blended coursework. This can be at any point during a term.
  • Do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). You must maintain SAP for the State to consider you for future terms. The progress guidelines for the PA State Grant are different from the Federal guidelines. 


What is the FAFSA deadline for a PA State Grant (PHEAA)?

  • Transfer programs and renewals - May 1
  • Career programs - August 1


How do I apply for a PA State Grant (PHEAA)?
File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year.


How can I learn more about the PA State Grant (PHEAA)?
Also, download the State Grant Overview (pdf) for eligibility guidelines and requirements


What are special programs? 

PHEAA and community partners have developed other programs. These programs can assist you with educational costs. Some of these programs include:

  • Blind or Deaf Higher Education Beneficiary Grant Program - for blind or deaf students
  • Chaffee Grant - for students who were in foster care
  • PATH Program - for eligible students with demonstrated need
  • Postsecondary Educational Gratuity Program - for students whose parent lost their life while performing their duties as a “first responder”


Where can I get more information about special programs?
Visit for more information about PA special programs.

What is a Federal Pell Grant?

The government determines your Federal Pell Grant eligibility by:

  • Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
  • The number of credits you are enrolled in at HACC

The Pell Grant has a limit to the total number of years a student may receive the grant which is up to the equivalent of six years of full time enrollment.

What is the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)?
This grant is awarded to those students with exceptional need. A student must be an undergraduate who has not completed a bachelor's/professional degree. Funding for this grant is limited and awarding is subject to funds availability and on a first come, first served basis. Students who submit a FAFSA prior to February 15 will automatically be considered for SEOG funds.