back to web version
HACC's print sized logo


What are grants?

Grants are money that doesn't have to be repaid and is based on financial need derived by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Well over half of HACC students qualify for federal and state financial aid -  and many receive enough funding to cover their entire tuition bill resulting in a decreased reliance on loans to finance their education. 

View available grants below!

Effective for the 2016-17 award year: If you are attending HACC, we must be listed first on your FAFSA in order for you to receive the PA State Grant at our school. If you listed another school as the first choice, you must update this information on your own. Go to and log into Account Access. If you have never used Account Access, you will need to create a user name and password.

Am I eligible for a PHEAA State Grant?
Many students are eligible for a State Grant. You must:

  • Be a PA resident.
  • Have resided in PA for at least one year before completing the FAFSA.
  • Be pursuing an Associate's Degree.
  • Be taking at least six credits per term.
  • Be enrolled in a total of 15 weeks every Fall/Spring term and at least 8 weeks for the Summer term. You are not eligible if you are enrolled only in Late Start classes.

Veterans are eligible to apply for the State Grant. The state gives preference to veterans. The state generally does not consider income when determining veterans' awards.

Download the State Grant Overview (pdf) for eligibility guidelines and requirements.

Do developmental courses count towards the six credit hour requirement?
Developmental (0-level) courses may not count toward the six credit hour requirement.


How would I lose the grant?
You will lose the State Grant if you:

  • Have more than 50% of your credits through Internet or blended coursework. This can be at any point during a term.
  • Do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). You must maintain SAP for the state to consider you for future terms. The progress guidelines for State Grant are different than the Federal guidelines. Download PHEAA State Grant Progress (pdf).

What is the FAFSA deadline for a State Grant?

  • Transfer programs and renewals —May 1
  • Career programs —August 1


How do I apply for a PHEAA State Grant?
File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year.


How can I learn more about the PHEAA State Grant?


What are special programs?
PHEAA and community partners have developed other programs. These programs can assist you with educational costs. Some of these programs include:

  • Chaffee Grant —for students who were in foster care
  • Robert Byrd Scholarship —for students who demonstrate academic excellence
  • PATH Program —for eligible students with demonstrated need

Where can I get more information about special programs?
Visit for more information about PA special programs.


What is a Federal Pell Grant?

The government determines your Federal Pell Grant eligibility by:

  • Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
  • The number of credits you are enrolled in at HACC

The Pell Grant has a limit to the total number of years a student may receive the grant which is up to the equivalent of six years of full time enrollment.

What is the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)?
This grant is awarded to those students with exceptional need. A student must be an undergraduate who has not completed a bachelor's/professional degree. Funding for this grant is limited and awarding is subject to funds availability and on a first come, first served basis. Students who submit a FAFSA prior to February 15 will automatically be considered for SEOG funds.