Programs And Courses

Earn College Credit for YOUR Previous Learning Experiences

Person using laptopExperiences you have had outside a traditional college classroom may earn you college credit here at HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, saving you time and money. Discover the various ways YOUR life experiences may translate to credit.

An American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendation represents college-level equivalencies based on a review of workforce training, military training or occupations and other sources of learning outside the college classroom, such as national exams and certifications.

ACE-approved courses may also be completed at Sophia Learning or StraighterLine.

To be considered for credit through ACE, Sophia Learning or StraighterLine, please contact for course equivalency information and to find out if your credits will be accepted for transfer into HACC.

Students may earn college credit through Advanced Placement (AP), CLEP, DSST/DANTES or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams. You can research minimum scores required by visiting and

To be considered for credit through these exams, please submit an official transcript to

A challenge examination is an opportunity for a student to demonstrate college-level learning through a course-specific institutional examination.

Credit by challenge examination is intended:

  • For students who have completed formal or informal training in topics presented at the rigor of a college-level curriculum.
  • When CLEP, American College of Education (ACE) or other exams are not available.

To be consider as a candidate for a challenge exam, please consult with your HACC advisor after your admission to the College.

Experiential Learning includes both formal and informal learning resulting from work experience, seminar or professional training, workshops, community volunteerism, and unique life experiences not otherwise evaluated through other prior learning assessment mechanisms such as CLEP examinations or licensure articulations. Submission of a portfolio is required for the evaluation of credit for life experience. Those interested should alert their advisor. A fee is required.

Credits may be awarded for training completed through continuing education. Continuing education units (CEUs) or continuing education credits (CEC) are often awarded for training that professionals complete to maintain licensure in their profession.

To be considered for credit through CEUs, please submit an official transcript to

Professional certification or licensure may entitle a student to receive academic credit toward a certificate or degree. Explore commonly accepted continuing education units and continuing education credits on HACC’s noncredit-to-credit pathways webpage.

Students should submit copies of their official licenses/certifications to for evaluation.

HACC will evaluate students’ military experiences into college credit based upon the evaluation recommendation outlined in the American Council on Education (ACE) Guide to Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services manual.

Students can request official JST (Joint Services Transcript) at To be considered for credit through military experience, please submit an official transcript to

Other college credit transferred from another college or university may be applicable toward a HACC credential. To find out more, please search for your previous institution (Please note that this is not an all-inclusive list and other college credits from various institutions may also be accepted for transfer into HACC.).

To be considered for credit from other colleges or universities, please submit an official transcript to

HACC participates in the Pennsylvania Department of Education SOAR program for specific high school career and technical education programs. For more information, including how to request evaluation of high school credits, please visit SOAR.

Students completing some workforce development programs at HACC may be eligible for college credits in select associate, certificate and diploma degree programs. Explore the opportunities by visiting HACC’s noncredit-to-credit pathways webpage.

To be considered for credit through workforce development coursework, please submit an official transcript to