What is the Men of Color Initiative?
Our mission and purpose is to support and enhance the rich learning experiences at HACC for male identifying students to counter historical equity gaps in post-secondary success. The Men of Color Initiative recognizes the individual journey of each member with the goal of empowerment, self advocacy, and healthy life choices to move beyond historical structural and systemic barriers for a successful transition in their personal and professional life through education.
The Men of Color Programs at HACC works to be inclusive and responsive to the needs of our students. As such we will be available Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. We are pleased to offer limited on-campus appointments, as well as connecting with you through Zoom, email, and phone. We take the safety and health of our students seriously, on-campus appointments will be brief and masks/face coverings will be required. Currently all in person appointments will need to be scheduled via Zoom calls or in person at the Harrisburg Office.
Who can participate in the Men of Color Initiative?
The Men of Color Initiative is open to all HACC students regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, expression or ability.
Program Services and Activities
- Academic and career goal setting assistance
- Financial Aid planning and guidance
- Mentoring and coaching support (peer to peer and professional)
- Leadership development
- Monthly information and developmental workshops
- Cultural Awareness Trips
- Service and volunteer opportunities
- Persistence planning assistance
- Bi-weekly Discussion groups
These services will be ancillary when appropriate.
- Access to Men of Color Initiative staff and safe space
- Access to Men of Color Initiative resources and mentoring
- Open to all first semester semester students and matriculating students.
- Academic goal setting and review.
- Guided workshops for healthy growth and development.
- Mentoring identification.
- Cultural identity trips.
- Campus and community cultural impact project.
- Motivation to succeed.
Men of Color Referral Form Men of Color Signup Form
For more information about these programs, please contact:
Michael R. Davis
Director, Men of Color Programs