Geospatial Technology - Associate in Science (AS) (4760)
Are you passionate about maps and geography? Does the idea of being on the forefront of rapidly changing technology excite you? Do you have solid computer and communication skills?
Whether you are looking to further your training in geospatial technology or start fresh with this career, our Associate in Science in geospatial technology can put you on the right path to a career in this in-demand field.
After earning your associate degree in geospatial technology, you can work as a:
- Cartographic technician
- Geographic information technician, analyst, and specialist
- Specialist in another position related to the acquisition, use and processing of geographic and time-based data
Do you have these characteristics?
- Analytical thinking
- Problem solving
- Strong computer, geography and math skills
- Effective communicator who excels in team settings
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Innovatively YOURS, our professors will prepare you for this rapidly evolving field. Our experienced faculty will teach you to use geographical information systems (GIS) and remote sensing software, and help you develop your skills to form conclusions. Coursework in this program is aligned with the Geospatial Technology Competency Model (GTCM) developed by the United States Department of Labor and the GeoTech Center.
The industry is requiring technicians to hold skills in:
- Application programming and development
- Data acquisition
- Data management
- Spatial analysis
As you complete our program, you will:
- Apply Geographic Information System (GIS) and remote sensing theory, data acquisition, data processing and applications
- Use GIS software packages and geospatial data processing tools
- Perform engineering, geological and environmental applications of geospatial technologies
- Develop analytical skills, including inductive and deductive reasoning
- Communicate effectively in a geospatial environment
- Use those strengthened written and oral communication skills and interpersonal characteristics for effective business opportunities and personal growth
- Apply fundamental concepts of business applications and decision-making related to geospatial technology
- Provide the student with a general educational background to facilitate analysis and interpretation of technical information
- Enter the geospatial technology field prepared to face the issues, challenges, and projects commonly encountered within the industry
After completing our program and receiving your associate degree, you will be ready to enter the workforce where the acquisition, use and processing of geographic and time-based data is used.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Yes! While our program is designed to lead directly to employment, there are opportunities for transfer. Our degree programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper classes at HACC. Graduates may pursue a bachelor's degree in Technical Management through HACC's articulation agreement with Bloomsburg University.
As a HACC geospatial technology student, your transfer option is:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)|
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies (pdf)|
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
You can enroll in classes for the spring, summer and fall, and apply anytime by submitting your application online. When you apply, please include program code 4760 to ensure you apply to the correct program.