Medical Coding Specialist
Learn about our Medical Coding Specialist Non-credit Certificate Program — Harrisburg Campus.
HACC holds many of these classes at other campuses. We also offer online options.
What is a medical coding specialist?
A medical coding specialist has various duties. You must:
- Be responsible for translating and sequencing medical documentation. A medical coding specialist translates this documentation into standardized, numerical codes. Billing uses these codes for diagnoses and procedures.
- Work closely with healthcare providers. You will work to ensure accuracy of the translation.
- Be knowledgeable in anatomy and physiology.
- Understand the human body and disease processes. This will help you code accurately.
- Have accurate math, reading and writing skills.
- Have good vision with the ability to see details at close range.
- Have keyboarding skills.
- Be detail-oriented and analytical.
How much do medical coding specialists make?
The median salary for a medical coding specialist in Harrisburg is $44,924 as of November 2013. Visit www.salary.com for more information on local salaries.
What is the employment outlook?
The outlook for medical coding specialists is excellent for entry-level positions. The United States Bureau of Labor expects employment to grow faster than the average field.
HACC does not offer assistance in job placement for this program at this time.
Is this program right for me?
This program is right for you if:
- You are a healthcare billing professional.
- You want to become a certified coder.
Learn more about this program. Download About the Program - Curriculum and Costs (pdf, rev 5/2011).
What do I earn after completing the program?
This program focuses on advanced coding skills. It also prepares you for certification.
Where can I work?
Medical Coding Specialists can work in many different places. These include:
- Medical practices
- Coding and billing services
- Insurance companies
- Governmental agencies
- Consulting firms
Where can I get more information?
To learn more about this career, visit:
- Career InfoNet
- American Medical Billing Association
- American College of Medical Coding Specialists
- American Academy of Professional Coders
- American Health Information Management Association
Who can I contact for more information?
Noncredit Healthcare Education
(717) 221-1352 or 800-222-4222, ext. 1352
HACC Harrisburg Campus
Blocker Hall, Room 221
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110