Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
Learn about our Medical Billing & Coding Specialist Non-credit Certificate Program — Harrisburg Campus.
HACC holds many of these classes at other campuses. We also offer online options.
This curriculum is designed to prepare students to:
- Code professional medical services and diagnosis
- Carry out collection procedures
- Create reports for management tools
- Research and review insurance claims
- Maintain patients’ financial and accounting records
- Data entry payment information, adjustments, and balances into computer software programs
- Analyze health records and assign codes for diseases and procedures
- Abstract key information from health records for reimbursement, statistics, and research purposes
- Research and review health records for auditing purposes
- Monitor compliance with policies and procedures relevant to clinical data management and making suggestions for improvements
- Take the national certification examination administered by the certifying agencies of the profession
What is a medical billing and coding specialist?
Medical Billing and Coding Specialists are responsible for translating and sequencing medical documentation into formal standardized, numerical codes for diagnoses and procedures. Medical billing and coding supports the billing process by coding and processing claims.
How long is the program?
The program can be completed in 13 months attending class two nights per week or in 27 months taking class one night per week.
How much do medical coding specialists make?
The median salary for a medical coding specialist in Harrisburg is $44,924 as of November 2013. Visit www.salary.com for more information on local salaries.
What is the employment outlook?
The outlook for medical coding specialists is excellent for entry-level positions. The United States Bureau of Labor expects employment to grow faster than the average field.
HACC does not offer assistance in job placement for this program at this time.
How can I learn more about this program?
Download About the Program - Curriculum and Costs (pdf, rev 12/2014).
Where can I work?
Medical Coding Specialists can work in many different places. These include:
- Medical practices
- Coding and billing services
- Insurance companies
- Governmental agencies
- Consulting firms
Where can I get more information?
To learn more about this career, visit:
- Career InfoNet
- American Medical Billing Association
- American College of Medical Coding Specialists
- American Academy of Professional Coders
- American Health Information Management Association
Who can I contact for more information?
Noncredit Healthcare Education
(717) 221-1352 or 800-222-4222, ext. 211352
HACC Harrisburg Campus
Blocker Hall, Room 221
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110