Learn about the Health Science Associate in Science Degree program for actively credentialed and currently working health career professionals.
What can I do with a health science degree?As credentialed health care professionals, this degree can expand your clinical role and provide a degree which is often required for management positions.
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf, rev 12/2014)
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
- Upon successful completion you will earn a Health Science Associate in Science Degree
- Upon successful completion of the Radiologic Imaging option (didactic and clinical courses), students will be eligible to take the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist's (ARRT) post primary certification examination in CT or Mammography.
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete?
- Download a list of of Required Courses - 61 credits (pdf, rev 12/2014)
- The complete program can be completed at all campuses and online (with careful course selection).
- Options available are:
- Information Technology
- Radiologic Imaging – new for Fall 2015
- Restricted to students who possess, or are eligible to sit for, a primary certification from an approved medical imaging board. (Rad Tech, Nuc med, Diagnostic Medical Sonography)
- The Radiologic Imaging option is completed online. The clinical courses can be completed at a location near you
- Social Service
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to this program.
- To qualify, students must be actively credentialed health care professionals currently working in their fields. (See list of approved credentials below.)
- Verification of credential and current employment in the field are required.
- Qualified students will be awarded 30 credits towards a Health Science degree.
- Students who are NOT actively credentialed health care professionals may be interested in the Health Care Management degree.
- Contact Michael Turi (717-780-1132) for specific program entry requirements.
What credentials have been approved for the health science degree?
The following are approved credentials for this degree:
|Activities Director, Certified (ADC)
Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS)
|CVT||Registered Cardiac Electrophysiology Specialist (RCES)||30|
|CVT||Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS)||30|
|CVT||Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS)||30|
|Dental||Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)||30|
|Dental||Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)||30|
|DMS||Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS)||30|
|Health Information Management||Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
||Clinical Lab Technician (CLA ASCP)
Histotechnician (HT ASCP)
|Medical Lab Technician (MLT ASCP)||30|
Board Certified Massage Therapist (NCBTMB) or
|Medical Assisting||Certified Medical Assistant (CMA/AAMA - Certifying Board of the American Assn of Medical Assistants) or
Registered Medical Assistant (RMA - American Medical Technologists)
|Nursing||Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)||30|
|Nursing||Registered Nurse (RN)||30|
|Ophthalmic||Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist (COMT)||30|
|Ophthalmic||Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT)||30|
|Orthopaedics||Orthopaedic Technologist Certified (OTC) (NBCOT)||30|
|Orthopaedics||Orthopaedic Technologist - Surgery Certified (OTSC) (NBCOT)||30|
|Paramedic||Registered Paramedic (NREMTP or PA EMTP)||30|
|Physician Assistant||Certified Physician Assistant (PA-C) (NCCPA)||30|
|Polysomnography||Polysomnography Technologist (RPSGT)||30|
|Radiology||Registered Technologist (Radiography) (RT(R))||30|
|Respiratory||Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT)||30|
|Respiratory||Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)||30|
|Surgical||Certified Surgical Technologist (CST)||30|
These credentials do not qualify for Health Science:
Coding - CCA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC
CVT - CCT, CCDS, IBHRE
Medical Assisting - CCMA
Nursing - CNA
Pharmacy - CPhT
Can I advance my education in this field?
- Franklin University offers a BS in Allied Healthcare Management.
- Shippensburg University offers a BS in Healthcare Administration.
- Lebanon Valley College offers a part-time evening BS in Health Care Management.
- Immaculata University offers a BA in Health Care Management. It holds part-time evening classes at HACC's Lancaster campus, Fort Indiantown Gap and online.
- Siena Heights University offers an online bachelor's in applied science including a BAS in massage therapy for NCBTMB board certified MTs.
Where can I get more information?
- Download a Health Science flier for Massage Therapists (pdf)
- Download a Health Science flier listing all approved credentials and required courses (pdf) (rev 5/5/15)
- Visit ACHE -American College of Healthcare Executives. American College of Healthcare Executives is an international professional society of more than 30,000 healthcare executives. These executives lead hospitals, healthcare systems and other healthcare organizations. You must have a bachelor's degree to join.
- Visit AHA - The American Hospital Association. AHA is the national organization that represents and serves hospitals and health care networks. It also serves patients and communities.
- Download Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook for Medical and Health Service Managers.
- Visit ExploreHEALTHCareers.org