Learn about the Health Science Associate Degree program (359P). You may complete courses at all campuses and online.
What can I do with a health science degree?
Health Science degrees present multiple options. These options include:
- Information Technology
- Social Service
What is the employment outlook?
Health Science students are credentialed health care practitioners and this degree can expand your clinical role. It will present management, administrative or educational opportunities.
What is the goal of the program?
HACC designed the Associate of Health Science degree for:
- Actively-credentialed healthcare professionals
- Professionals currently working in the field
How do I enroll in the program?
This is a selective admissions program. Admission to HACC does not guarantee entry into this program. You must meet specific admissions criteria.
To enroll, you must be a current credentialed health care professional working in the field. You must submit a portfolio (verification of credential and current employment in the field) for review. You will be awarded 30 credits towards a Health Science degree if you qualify.
Students who are NOT actively credentialed health care professionals may be interested in the Health Care Management degree.
Contact Vicki Gentzel (717-780-1992) for specific program entry requirements.
What are the required courses?
Download a list of of Required Courses - 61 credits (pdf, rev 12/2014)
What are the additional expenses?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf, rev 12/2014)
What credentials does HACC approve?
HACC approves the following credits:
|Activities Director, Certified (ADC)
Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS)
|CVT||Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS)||30|
|CVT||Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS)||30|
|Dental||Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)||30|
|Dental||Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)||30|
|DMS||Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS)||30|
|Health Information Management||Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
||Clinical Lab Technician (CLA ASCP)
Histotechnician (HT ASCP)
|Medical Lab Technician (MLT ASCP)||30|
Board Certified Massage Therapist (NCBTMB) or
|Medical Assisting||Certified Medical Assistant (CMA/AAMA - Certifying Board of the American Assn of Medical Assistants) or
Registered Medical Assistant (RMA - American Medical Technologists)
|Nursing||Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)||30|
|Nursing||Registered Nurse (RN)||30|
|Ophthalmic||Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist (COMT)||30|
|Ophthalmic||Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT)||30|
|Orthopaedics||Orthopaedic Technologist Certified (OTC) (NBCOT)||30|
|Orthopaedics||Orthopaedic Technologist - Surgery Certified (OTSC) (NBCOT)||30|
|Paramedic||Registered Paramedic (NREMTP or PA EMTP)||30|
|Physician Assistant||Certified Physician Assistant (PA-C) (NCCPA)||30|
|Polysomnography||Polysomnography Technologist (RPSGT)||30|
|Radiology||Registered Technologist (Radiography) (RT(R))||30|
|Respiratory||Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT)||30|
|Respiratory||Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)||30|
|Surgical||Certified Surgical Technologist (CST)||30|
These credentials do not qualify for Health Science:
Coding - CCA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC
CVT - CCT, CCDS, IBHRE
Medical Assisting - CCMA
Nursing - CNA
Pharmacy - CPhT
Where can I advance my education?
- Franklin University offers a BS in Allied Healthcare Management.
- Shippensburg University offers a BS in Healthcare Administration.
- Lebanon Valley College offers a part-time evening BS in Health Care Management.
- Immaculata University offers a BA in Health Care Management. It holds part-time evening classes at HACC's Lancaster campus, Fort Indiantown Gap and online.
- Siena Heights University offers an online bachelor's in applied science including a BAS in massage therapy for NCBTMB board certified MTs.
Where can I get more information?
- Download a Health Science flier for Massage Therapists (pdf)
- Download a Health Science flier listing all approved credentials and required courses (pdf)
- Visit ACHE -American College of Healthcare Executives. American College of Healthcare Executives is an international professional society of more than 30,000 healthcare executives. These executives lead hospitals, healthcare systems and other healthcare organizations. You must have a bachelor's degree to join.
- Visit AHA - The American Hospital Association. AHA is the national organization that represents and serves hospitals and health care networks. It also serves patients and communities.
- Download Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook for Medical and Health Service Managers.
- Visit ExploreHEALTHCareers.org