Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary Program
Below is information on the Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary (EDFA) program.
What is the goal of the program?
The EFDA program:
- Meets the requirements established by the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry.
- Prepares you to take the written EFDA Examination. The State Board of Dentistry approves the EFDA Examination.
- Prepares you to achieve basic competence for placing and finishing amalgam and composite resin restorations on patients.
Do I qualify for the program?
To qualify for the program, you must have one of the following:
- Current Pennsylvania licensure as a dental hygienist
- Current DANB certification as a dental assistant. The HACC program requires this certification, but the state does not.
You must also take the National Certification Examination for Dental Assistants. Visit the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB). Call 1-800-367-3262 for more information.
How do I enroll?
Enrollment is limited to 15 students for the complete program. You must:
- Submit your application to HACC.
You must submit an admission application if you have not previously applied.
- Beginning October for Spring 2015 there is no application fee
your major as Dental Assisting - 3200. If you submit a paper application, use
Dental Assisting - Advanced - 320A.
If you have taken college credits at HACC, reapply using a paper application:
- Contact Dawn Clifford, email@example.com, for additional information and your next steps.
- Health Provider CPR. This form is due before the initiation of DA 253, clinical externship
- A copy of your current Certification in Dental Assisting (CDA) OR a copy of your current PA Dental Hygiene Licensure
- Proof of required immunizations (pdf)
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History Request Form
Mail your documentation to:
EFDA Program SM102
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
What does the program consist of?
The program consists of two courses. Here is an overview of the courses:
- DA 252:
- Begins Fall semester.
- Is a four-credit course.
- Meets for 14 weeks, Monday and Tuesday evenings, 6:30 p.m.-9:30 pm.
- Is offered at the Harrisburg campus. HACC only offers the course during the fall semester.
- Is a lecture and lab session.
- Begins Spring semester.
- Is a one-credit course
- Requires clinical hours in the EFDA clinics. It also requires clinical hours in your dental practice.
- Requires 14 weeks of approximately eight hours of clinical externship per week.
- Requires EFDA clinics Monday and Wednesday evenings, 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
- Concludes when you complete the documented hours. This can take longer than one semester.
- Requires you to complete a portfolio including photos of your work.
How much does the program cost?
Download the Current Estimated Expenses (pdf, rev 5/14). This includes program cost, tuition and course fees for DA 252 and DA 253.
Will I be eligible for credentials?
You will be eligible for the EFDA examination after completing the program. You may apply to the State Board of Dentistry for certification.
Who can I contact for more information?