Health Careers Shadowing
HACC encourages you to arrange an in-depth, one-on-one shadowing experience with a professional in your career area. Your first step is to check the admission criteria for your program to make sure you are following the proper procedure.
Some programs require shadowing prior to admission into the clinical phase. Check the Admissions Criteria to see shadowing requirements (and specific instructions) for your program/s of interest, since there may be specific instructions and forms. You may either have to contact the health-care facility or a specific person.
Image is everything
Remember to present a professional image. Dress appropriately when arranging and attending your shadowing day. Some facilities may even require you to get a flu shot. Some facilities may want at least a month advance notice of your desired shadow date.
To arrange shadowing, contact the hospital or health-care facility.
Before you begin making contacts, check the admission criteria for your program to make sure you are following the proper procedure.
To set up a shadowing opportunity, contact:
- Carlisle Regional Medical Center. Contact Patty Holby, Recruiter, 717-960-3253 for an information packet. Visit http://www.carlislermc.com.
- Chambersburg Hospital (Summit Health). Contact Kim Taylor at 717-262-4628 for specific questions or learn more online and complete the online shadowing application.
- Ephrata Hospital. Contact Volunteer Services at 717-738-6117 or learn more online.
- Gettysburg Hospital (Wellspan). Contact Linda Sanders at 717-334-4197. Access an application online.
- Good Samaritan Hospital (Lebanon). Contact Educational Services at 717-270-7759 or learn more online.
- Hamilton Health Center (Harrisburg). Contact Human Resources at 717-230-3991 or learn more online.
- Hanover Hospital. Contact Volunteer Services at 717-316-2136 or learn more online.
- Holy Spirit Hospital (Camp Hill). Contact Darlene Heiges in Volunteer Services, 717-763-2656 or learn more online.
- Lancaster General. Shadowing is open during the months of February, May and September through November. Human Resources must arrange shadowing. Learn more online.
- Lancaster Regional Medical Center. Contact Bonnie Goloski, Director of Volunteer Services, 717-291-8126 or learn more online.
- Memorial Hospital (York). Learn more online.
- Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Contact the Office of Academic Placement or learn more online.
- PinnacleHealth. Learn more online.
- Waynesboro Hospital (Summit Health). Contact Kim Taylor at 717-262-4628 for specific questions. Learn more online and complete the online shadowing application.
- York Hospital (Wellspan). Contact Wellspan Human Resources at 717-851-2302 or learn more online.
Hospital locations and driving directions