General Education Core Classes
Many HACC students must register for general education core classes. Below is information on general education core classes.
What Is the Purpose of General Education Core Classes?
General education core classes provide the foundation for essential knowledge and skills. HACC offers courses in core knowledge and abilities areas. These courses teach and reinforce these skills.
What Are the Core Knowledge Areas?
The core knowledge areas are:
- Humanities and arts
- Social and behavioral sciences
- Mathematics, natural and physical science
- Physical education and wellness
- Written communication
- Speech communication
What Are Core Abilities?
Core abilities are:
- Information literacy
- Computer literacy
How Do Core Knowledge Areas Relate to Core Abilities?
Core abilities integrate with core knowledge areas. They provide you with skills that lead to success in a changing world. They also provide a foundation for life-long learning.
What Will I Be Able to Achieve After Receiving My General Education?
There are various general education outcomes. You will achieve:
- Quantitative literacy —Select and apply mathematical tools to draw conclusions from quantitative data.
- Written communication:
- Write appropriately for audience, purpose and genre
- Demonstrate appropriate content, organization, syntax and style
- Acknowledge the use of information sources, according to convention
- Critical thinking —Generate a new idea or artifact. Generate ideas by combining, changing or reapplying existing ideas or products.
- Technology literacy —Demonstrate the ability to communicate, create and collaborate effectively with technology.
- Oral communication —Competently construct and effectively present information. This information is designed to increase knowledge, foster understanding or promote change within the listener.
- Information literacy —Demonstrate the ability to find, evaluate, organize and use information effectively and ethically.
Are the Core Requirements the Same for All Students?
There are different requirements based on when your HACC education began. View a course listing for each core knowledge area and electives: