Learn about the Health Science Associate in Applied Science Degree program for professionals who are actively credentialed and currently working. Download a Health Science flier (pdf) listing all approved credentials and required courses (pdf)
What can I do with a health science degree?
As credentialed health care professionals, this degree can expand your clinical role and provide a degree which is often required for management positions.
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf)
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
- Upon successful completion you will earn a Health Science Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Upon successful completion of the Radiologic Imaging option (didactic and clinical courses), students will be eligible to take the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist's (ARRT) post primary certification examination in CT or Mammography.
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete?
- Download a list of of Required Courses - 61 credits (pdf)
- The complete program can be completed at all campuses and online (with careful course selection).
- Options available are:
- Gerontology - open to anyone
- Management/Marketing - open to anyone
- Radiologic Imaging - CT
- Restricted to students who possess, or are eligible to sit for, a primary certification from an approved medical imaging board. (Rad Tech, Nuc med, Diagnostic Medical Sonography)
- The Radiologic Imaging option is completed online. The clinical courses can be completed at a location near you. Contact Rebecca Shoener if you have questions.
- Download Application & Registration Information (pdf).
- Paramedic - restricted to students who possess or are eligible to sit for NRP or EMT-P - all students interested in the paramedic option should contact Bob Stakem - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vascular Imaging - restricted to students who possess RDCS, RCS or RDMS credential.
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA) - restricted to students who possess CDA credential or 2 years of clinical chairside experience. Use this link to apply for the EFDA courses using SurveyMonkey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/EFDA_2018 - contact Tiffany Kessler if you have questions.
- Pediatric Imaging - restricted to students who possess RDCS, RCS or RDMS credential
- Download Pediatric Course Application & Registration Information (pdf)
- Contact Kristy Werkheiser - email@example.com - 717-358-2872
- Apply to the College and select Health Science as your major on the college application. Then apply for the pediatric imaging courses online using SurveyMonkey.
What are the program admission criteria?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to this program.
- To qualify, students must be actively credentialed health care professionals currently working in their fields. (See list of approved credentials below.)
- Verification of credential and current employment in the field are required.
- Qualified students will be awarded 30 credits towards a Health Science degree.
- Students who are NOT actively credentialed health care professionals may be interested in the Health Care Management degree.
- Contact Vicki Gentzel (717-780-1992) for specific program entry requirements.
- Download Step by Step for New Health Science Students (pdf)
- Virtual Learning Admission Steps
What credentials have been approved for the health science degree?
- Credentials are approved for 30 credits
- The following are approved credentials for this degree:
|Activities Director, Certified (ADC)
Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS)
|CVT||Registered Cardiac Electrophysiology Specialist (RCES)|
|CVT||Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS)|
|CVT||Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS)|
|Coding||Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) (CCS-P) - (American Health Information Management Assn - AHIMA)|
|Coding||Certified Professional Coder (CPC, COC, CIC, CRC, CPC-P ) (American Academy of Professional Coders - AAPC)|
|Dental||Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)|
|Dental||Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)|
|DMS||Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS)|
|EEG||Registered Electroencephalographic Technologist (R.EEG.T ABRET)|
|Health Information Management||Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) (AHIMA)
|Laboratory||Clinical Lab Technician (CLA ASCP)
Histotechnician (HT ASCP )
|Medical Lab Technician (MLT ASCP )|
|Medical Assisting||Certified Medical Assistant (CMA/AAMA - Certifying Board of the American Assn of Medical Assistants) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA - American Medical Technologists) or Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA - National Healthcare Association)|
|Nursing||Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)|
|Nursing||Registered Nurse (RN)|
|Ophthalmic||Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist (COMT) (JCAHPO)|
|Ophthalmic||Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT) (JCAHPO)|
|Orthopaedics||Orthopaedic Technologist Certified (OTC) (NBCOT)|
|Orthopaedics||Orthopaedic Technologist - Surgery Certified (OTSC) ( NBCOT )|
|Paramedic||Registered Paramedic (NRP or PA EMTP)|
|Physician Assistant||Certified Physician Assistant (PA-C) (NCCPA)|
|Polysomnography||Polysomnography Technologist (RPSGT)|
|Radiology||Registered Technologist (Radiography) (RT(R))|
|Respiratory||Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT)|
|Respiratory||Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)|
|Surgical||Certified Surgical Technologist (CST)|
These credentials do not qualify for Health Science:
Coding - CCA
CVT - CCT, CCDS, IBHRE
Nursing - CNA
Pharmacy - CPhT
Can I advance my education in this field?
- Franklin University offers a BS in Allied Healthcare Management.
- Immaculata University offers a BS in Health Care Management. It holds part-time evening classes at HACC's Lancaster campus, Fort Indiantown Gap and online.
- Siena Heights University offers an online bachelor's in applied science including a BAS in massage therapy for NCBTMB board certified MTs.
Where can I get more information?
- Visit ACHE -American College of Healthcare Executives. American College of Healthcare Executives is an international professional society of more than 30,000 healthcare executives. These executives lead hospitals, healthcare systems and other healthcare organizations. You must have a bachelor's degree to join.
- Visit AHA - The American Hospital Association. AHA is the national organization that represents and serves hospitals and health care networks. It also serves patients and communities.
- Download Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook for Medical and Health Service Managers.
- Visit ExploreHEALTHCareers.org
- Visit https://discoverhealthadmin.org/careers/