Learn about our Pharmacy Technician Non-credit Certificate program —Harrisburg/Lancaster Campuses.
What is a pharmacy technician?
- A pharmacy technician performs various duties. You must:
- Assist the pharmacist with a variety of tasks. These tasks include accepting and screening medication orders, preparing labels and medications, maintaining drug inventory and performing insurance billing. You must also prepare admixtures and compounding medications, maintain patient records and participate in quality control processes.
- Work under the direct supervision of a pharmacist.
- Exhibit a professional demeanor.
- Have effective oral and written communication skills.
- Have an aptitude for math and science.
- Be responsible for your own actions.
- Be motivated to learn.
- Work effectively as a member of the health care team.
- Receive constructive criticism and take verbal direction.
- Respect patient confidentiality issues.
- Understand medical terminology.
How much do pharmacy technicians make?
The median salary for a pharmacy technician in Harrisburg is $31,303 as of November 2013. Visit www.salary.com for more information on local salaries.
How do I enroll in the program?
Call 717-780-2414 to register for classes.
Download Flier with Admission Criteria, Essential Qualifications (pdf, rev 3/2014).
Can I receive veterans education benefits for this program?
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) determines benefits.
- The VA approves veterans' education benefits for non-credit healthcare programs. These programs must result in a certificate upon completion.
- The VA bases benefits on the length of the class and the number of weekly clock hours.
- The VA provides benefits on a post-payment basis. You must pay tuition in advance.
Military and Veterans Affairs Office
Where can I work?
Pharmacy technicians work in a variety of settings. These include:
- Hospital pharmacies
- Retail pharmacies
- Extended-care facilities
- Home health agencies
- Mail-order pharmacy distributors
HACC does not offer assistance in job placement for this program.
Where can I get more information?
- Visit Career Infonet.
- Visit the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.
- Visit the National Pharmacy Technician Association.
- Visit the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association.
- Visit the American Association of Pharmacy Technicians.
Who can I contact for more information?
Noncredit Healthcare Education
717-221-1352 or 800-222-4222, ext. 1352
Pharmacy Technician Program Office
HACC Harrisburg Campus
Blocker Hall, Room 221
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110