Early Childhood and Elementary Education Programs
Do you enjoy working with children? If so, you may be interested in a future in teaching.
The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Commission on Early Childhood Associate Degree Accreditation awards accreditation to associate degree programs that demonstrate evidence of meeting the Professional Preparation Standards. The Early Care and Education Associate degree and the Early Childhood - Elementary Education degree were awarded NAEYC Accreditation in 2012. If you are interested in a career providing quality preschool programming our Early Care and Education Career Associate Degree might be the right fit for you.
You will learn about:
- child growth and development
- teaching methods in literacy, math, the arts
- working with children with special needs and more
If your goal is to teach in a public school setting with children in grades PK through 4th our Early Childhood - Elementary Education AA - Pre-Teaching Transfer may be the right fit for you. With the program to program articulation agreements we have with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) Schools, you can start your career at HACC in our accredited program, save on tuition costs, and after receiving your Associate Degree transfer to any of the PASSHE schools as a junior*.
Current Program Requirements for HACC Diploma, Certificate and Degree Programs in Education
- Early Childhood Care and Education Certificate - 5170
- Early Care and Education Career Associate Degree - 5501
- Early Childhood - Elementary Education AA - 5070 - Pre-Teaching Transfer
- Child Development Associate Credential preparation - 3 courses required (4/15 pdf)
- View Estimated Expenses for Education programs (pdf)
All of the Education programs have extensive field experience requirements. Because you will be working directly with children, you are required to have clearances documented and on file in the education department. Please look over the following statements and materials regarding clearance requirements.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CLEARANCES MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO BEING ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER FOR EDUC 110 and 111 AND MUST BE UPDATED ANNUALLY. Read the Education Program Clearances Document (pdf) and follow the instructions.
- This program requires that all students obtain a current Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check (Act 34), Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151), FBI Clearance, and a valid TB Skin Test to be eligible for the required field experiences. Education Program Clearances Document A student should consider these factors before enrolling into this program.
- Students are REQUIRED to have these clearances submitted to the Education Program before registering for EDUC 110 or EDUC 111.
- Mailing address is Cindi Davis, HACC, W211, One HACC Drive, Harrisburg, PA 17110
How do I know if I need a new clearance document? All students are required to update their clearances and TB test annually. If your clearance dates will be 1 year old in a month or less – GET NEW CLEARANCES NOW.
*Additionally, students intending to transfer must have a 3.0 GPA in order to enter the professional-level course work, leading to teacher certification, at baccalaureate degree-granting institutions. Students are also required to attain a qualifying score on the PAPA Academic Skills Assessment test before transferring. Since the requirements of 4-year colleges/universities varies widely, it is essential to choose an intended transfer institution as soon as possible and carefully follow the program described in that college's catalog.
Need help with PAPA Testing?
There are study resources available online that have been very successful in helping students pass the PAPA tests. Please check the information sheet and see if one of the options will work for you.
Cindi Davis, EdD, NRP
Professor and Education Program Director
P118C (Harrisburg Campus, Grace M. Pollock Early Childhood Education and Child Care Center)