Culinary Arts: Certificate (1261)
Do you have a passion for cooking or baking? Do you enjoy using your creativity to surprise others with delicious dishes and desserts? Are you looking for a fast-paced career that will allow you to pursue your passion?
If this fits your interests, the culinary arts field could be the perfect path for you. Our Culinary Arts Certificate Program can help you hone your skills and turn your passion into a rewarding career. The certificate is accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACEF) and graduates with an American Culinary Federation (ACF) membership are awarded Certified Culinarian (CC).
What can I do with this in the workforce?
After receiving your culinary arts certificate, you’ll be ready to enter the workforce as a:
- Cook in a restaurant, institution or cafeteria
- Food preparation worker and server
While having a passion for cooking is crucial to your success, you should also:
- Enjoy working with others
- Be able to multitask and work well under pressure
- Possess a commitment to quality
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- What occupations are in demand within the region you select
- The number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- The anticipated number of job openings available — just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
We designed this program to lead directly to employment. You’ll learn about food preparation, production and service in the classroom and in on-campus labs. Under supervision, you’ll also prepare food and earn production industry experience in an off-campus restaurant. This restaurant, located in downtown Harrisburg, is open to the public.
By completing our Culinary Arts Program, you will be able to:
- Apply industry sanitation and safety procedures
- Demonstrate foundational cooking techniques and knife skills
- Compose a complete meal including culinary and bakery items using standardized recipes
- Exhibit management skills in professionalism, employee relations, food and beverage service, menu design, food purchasing and inventory
- Create working recipes based on developed flavor profiles, food costs and nutritional values
Federal regulations require the College to disclose specific gainful employment information about this program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our certificate program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education, we encourage you to earn an associate degree at HACC!
When you complete your associate degree, you can continue and transfer credits to a four-year school.
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus, and we offer all classes during the daytime. Conveniently YOURS, we also offer some classes in the evening on a rotating basis.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, you have the opportunity to offset the cost of your HACC education through approximately 200 scholarships. To learn more or apply, we encourage you to visit hacc.edu/scholarships.
Where can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime online. When you submit your application, please include program code 1261. By using this code, you will apply to the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Through hands-on instruction, our innovative culinary instructors will give you the foundation you need to hone your skills and begin a fast-paced career in the culinary arts. Watch this video to hear from others who have experienced the program.
Please contact an admissions counselor or Dr. Michelle Myers, business studies department chair, to learn more about the program. You may also request more information today. We are committed to YOUR success and can help you enroll today.