Physical Science: Transfer Associate (3070)
Do you like to figure out how things work? Do you want to know what’s inside the earth? Have you wondered how to predict weather? Students who are detail-oriented, enjoy critical thinking, communicate effectively and have a natural inclination to the science discipline are often drawn to a career in physical science.
Within the physical sciences are many options of study, including: physics, astronomy, meteorology, geology or forensics (scientific analysis to help solve crimes).
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our physical science program is the first step for many who want to pursue a career in high energy physics, astronomy, nanotechnology, optics, energy, space exploration, television weather and weather prediction, geology and crime scene investigation.
Following HACC, individuals have pursued a bachelor’s degree and found jobs:
- Carrying out research and development, inspection, testing and quality control or other production-related jobs (physics)
- Completing astronomical research and/or planetarium operations (astronomy)
- Conducting geological research
- Performing duties for the National Weather Service
- Serving as a weather researcher or in broadcasting (meteorology)
- Working in the petroleum or mining industries
- Serving as an environmental consultant or lawyer
- Working in a government agency (geology), police departments or the FBI
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in-demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our experienced instructors will help you build the foundation you need to pursue a bachelor’s degree in a specialized physical science area. Our program is structured to allow you to take a majority of your coursework in an area of interest, such as astronomy, geology, meteorology, physics or forensics.
Our Physical Science Program will prepare you to:
- Transfer and succeed in a bachelor’s degree program
- Demonstrate an understanding of scientific principles and concepts
- Appreciate scientific accomplishments and how they affect technology, politics and society
- Apply the scientific method to solve scientific problems
- Demonstrate computer literacy in data manipulation, mining and analysis
- Perform technician work in a typical laboratory while following appropriate safety procedures
- Effectively communicate results both orally and through written reports
- Appreciate accomplishments in the arts and sciences
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Yes! Conveniently YOURS, our program is designed so you can transfer your credits to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each four-year college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper classes at HACC.
|Drexel University:||Physical Science into Physics (pdf)
|Kutztown University of PA:||Physical Science into Geology (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Physical Science into Earth Science (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Physical Science into Geology (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Physical Science into Meteorology (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Physical Science into Physics (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Physical Science into B.S., General Science Option (pdf)
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Physical Science (pdf)
|West Chester University of PA:||Physical Science into GeoScience (pdf)
|West Chester University of PA:||Physical Science into Physics (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
Does HACC offer scholarships?
When can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime online. When you complete the application, please include the specific program code 3070. This code ensures you apply for the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Choose HACC as your first step! We want to see you achieve YOUR career goals and make discoveries in the world of science. Please contact an admissions counselor or our department chair Rae Dennis, for more information. You may also request more information online.