Rights and responsibilities
HACC electronically disseminates required student consumer and “Right-To-Know” Act information. Federal regulation permits this.
As a student receiving financial aid at Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC), it is your responsibility to know and comply with the rules governing the aid you receive. Below is a listing of certain rights to which you are entitled, and certain obligations for which you are responsible as an aid recipient at HACC.
What are the Rights of All Aid Recipients?
As a student receiving financial aid, you have the right to:
- Know that the information pertaining to your financial aid application and awards is kept confidential as mandated by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Know the cost to attend HACC (including fees, books, room/board, personal expenses, and transportation).
- Consult with persons in the Financial Aid Office concerning your application for assistance, budgeting and/or financial problems which may occur.
- Receive information about the financial aid programs available at HACC, including all Federal, State, and Institutional aid programs.
- Information regarding application procedures and deadlines for each of the available programs.
- Know how your financial aid award was determined.
- Know how much of your financial aid must be repaid (loans), and what portion is free (grants) aid. If the award is a loan, you have the right to know the amount which must be repaid, the interest rate, the amount of each payment, and length of time you have to repay, and when repayment begins.
- Know your application will be evaluated using the same system of need analysis applied to all students.
- Understand how your financial aid will be disbursed.
- Know how to accept, decline or reduce your financial aid awards.
- Information regarding the financial aid refund and repayment policy.
- Understand how the Financial Aid Office determines whether you are making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and what happens if you do not meet SAP requirements.
- Receive a full and clear explanation of financial aid policies, procedures and decisions.
What are the Responsibilities of All Aid Recipients?
As a student receiving financial aid at HACC, you have a responsibility to:
- Complete all applications and forms accurately.
- Comply with all financial aid deadlines.
- Reapply for financial aid each year you are enrolled at HACC, and wish to be considered for financial aid.
- Provide correct information. Misrepresented information on financial aid applications and forms is a violation of Federal law and may be considered a criminal offense.
- Read and understand all documents you are asked to sign and keep copies for your records.
- Return any additional documentation and new information requested by the Financial Aid Office in a timely manner.
- Request assistance if you have questions or don't understand the information provided to you.
- Check your myHACC account on a regular basis to ensure there are no outstanding items required for financial aid.
- Notify the Welcome Center at HACC any name, address and phone number changes.
- Know and comply with the rules governing your financial aid awards.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office of any financial aid awards you receive from outside resources including: scholarships, grants, Veteran's Benefits, tuition waivers, or other educational/tuition assistance.
- Complete Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note if you borrow of Direct Loans.
- Complete Direct Loan exit counseling if you drop below half time (6 credits) enrollment.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- Use financial aid only for educational expenses incurred while attending HACC.
- Repay any over-award of financial aid.
What are the Additional Responsibilities of Federal Work-Study (FWS) Recipients?
If you have Federal Work-Study as part of your financial aid awards, you have the following responsibilities:
- Complete all necessary employee hiring forms.
- Maintain the work schedule you and your supervisor have decided upon.
- Complete all work assignments.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times.
- Notify your supervisor if you cannot report to work.
- Do not work during your scheduled class times.
- Carefully monitor your earnings so you don't exceed your award for the academic year.
How can I file a complaint?
HACC must provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with State Agencies (pdf). This is due to Federal regulations.
How can I learn more about disclosures for Federal student aid programs?