HACC Students

Thank you for your interest in learning more about student rights to records. Please see below for frequently asked questions regarding student records.

What Is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) protects the privacy of student records. FERPA protects students and ensures their educational records are accurate and secure. FERPA applies to institutions that receive federal aid by the Secretary of Education.


What rights do I have?

FERPA maintains the privacy of student records. It gives students the right to:

Non-directory information

  1. Inspect and review educational records
    To review records, please email The Registrar’s Office at record@hacc.edu or call 717-780-2373. Students will have the opportunity to review their records within 45 days of the College receiving the request.

  2. Seek and amend educational records
    Students have the right to amend a record if it is inaccurate or misleading. To request a review of an educational record, please email The Registrar’s Office at record@hacc.edu.

    If HACC chooses not to amend the record, the student has the right to appeal via a hearing. If a student requests a hearing, the Registrar will appoint a committee. The committee includes one administrator, one faculty member and one student success and enrollment management staff member. The committee will hold a hearing with the student and discuss the requested amendment.

    The committee must:

    • schedule the hearing within 45 days of the request
    • record the minutes from the hearing
    • follow the "due process" guideline
    • give the student the opportunity to submit more information if they cannot form an agreement

  3. Limit disclosure of information
    HACC may not release personal information unless the student provides written consent. If a student would like to release educational records to a person or organization, a Release of Information Form is required. Students should submit the aforementioned form to onestopwc@hacc.eduPlease open the Release of Information form in any browser except Microsoft Edge.

    Are there exceptions to non-disclosure of information? There are exceptions to non-disclosure. The College can release information without a student's written consent in the following situations:

    Directory information HACC does not promote the release of directory information. However, FERPA allows the release of directory information, without written consent, and does not consider it to be harmful or invasive to privacy.

    • Student name, address and telephone listing
    • E-mail address
    • Date of birth
    • Major Field of study at HACC
    • Participation in activities and sports
    • Dates of attendance at HACC
    • Degrees and awards
    • Photograph
    • Educational institution most recently attended
    • Enrollment status
    • Academic level

    Non-directory information
    HACC can provide non-directory information to school officials with a legitimate educational interest. A school official is:

    • a person employed by HACC who serves in an administrative, supervisory, academic or support staff role.
    • a person or company serving as HACC's agent who provides a service such as attorneys, auditors or collection agents.
    • a person serving on the Board of Trustees
    • a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing a task

    HACC may release non-directory student information without consent in other situations:

    • parents of dependent students, as defined by the Internal Revenue Code
    • accrediting organizations
    • federal, state and local authorities involving an audit or evaluation of compliance with educational programs
    • organizations conducting studies for educational institutions
    • a subpoena or court order
    • in connection with financial aid
    • health or safety emergencies
    • an alleged victim of a crime of violence


How do I request a non-disclosure?

Students may refuse to permit the release of directory information by completing the Confidentiality Form (pdf) and submitting it to record@hacc.edu.

However, please know requesting a non-disclosure may have negative consequences. For example, with a non-disclosure HACC cannot confirm the student’s degree to an employer and the student’s name will not be listed in the graduation program. A non-disclosure request will remain in effect unless the student revokes it via a written request to The Registrar’s Office.


How do I file a complaint?

Students have the right to file a complaint if HACC does not comply with FERPA. Please visit the U.S. Department of Education site to learn more and to file a complaint regarding a FERPA violation.


Whom can I contact at HACC for questions about FERPA?

Please direct your questions about FERPA and student records to The Registrar’s Office by emailing record@hacc.edu or by calling 717-780-2373.