Paying For School

Failing or withdrawing from HACC

We know college can be tough but before you decide to withdraw from your classes, we strongly encourage you to talk with someone about your options. Many students find that by meeting with their instructor they are able to get back on track and finish successfully. If you do decide to withdraw, be sure to talk with Financial Aid who will help you determine how it will affect your financial aid for the term and in the future. You must officially withdraw if you stop attending your classes during the term. Immediately contact the Welcome Center if you stop attending class. Learn more about how failing or withdrawing from HACC can affect your financial aid.

How does withdrawing from HACC affect my financial aid?

There are six (6) major ways that withdrawing or failing classes affect your financial aid:

  • You will likely have to repay some of the financial aid funds received for that term.
    This occurs if you withdraw completely from HACC or if you receive all “F” grades or a combination of “F” and “W” grades. When this occurs, the U.S. Department of Education requires schools to recalculate your financial aid. As a result, the calculation may result in you owing a balance to the school and future aid may be cancelled. Until the balance is repaid, HACC will not provide your grades or transcripts nor will you be permitted to register for subsequent terms.

    The Office of Financial Aid Services cannot make this determination while you are in the office during the withdrawal process. The office must gather information from several areas of HACC and will inform you by mail if you owe a balance. 
  • You may not make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)  for future financial aid.
    You need to meet specific academic standards in order to continue to receive financial aid. By completing 67% of the classes you attempt and maintaining the appropriate cumulative GPA, you may continue to receive aid. For specific guidance on what is required, please see Financial Aid and Your Grades.   

    You will have "unsatisfactory progress" if you:
    • Receive  "F","W",'Y", or "I" grades
    • Repeat coursework
  • You may enter a "grace period" for repayment of Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans.
    The six-month grace period begins once you drop below half-time (6 credits) status and you will be contacted by your servicer to begin repaying your loans.
  • HACC will cancel your upcoming student aid disbursements.
    We will automatically cancel future disbursements if you owe a balance to the College as a result of a recalculation.  If you repay the balance and wish to return to the College, you must submit a written request to have your financial aid reinstated.
  • The state may cancel your PA State Grant for the upcoming term.
    The PA State Grant Program has their own policy regarding academic progress. The program is administered by PHEAA, so further information can be found at HACC must adhere to this policy when determining your eligibility for the grant. 
  • HACC may terminate your position under the student employment program.
    You must be enrolled in six or more credits during the Fall/Spring Terms to participate in the Student Employment Program.