Paying For School

Student employment

Student employment can help you earn money if you have financial need. The government determines financial need. They base your need on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

You can use this money to pay for educational expenses. Learn more about the Federal Work Study Program (FWS).

How many credits do I need to be enrolled in?
You need to be enrolled in at least six credits. This will make you eligible for FWS.

How is this money applied to my bill?
You earn this money. HACC does not deduct it from your bill. You are responsible for paying your bill.

What are the benefits of work-study at HACC?

  • HACC designs your work schedule around your class schedule.
  • You save travel time and gas money by working on campus.
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week.
  • HACC's hourly rate begins at $11.
  • HACC will pay you bi-weekly, based on the number of hours you worked.
  • You can gain valuable work experience and build references for future employment.
  • The money you earn through a work-study job does not count as income on the FAFSA. It will not affect your financial aid eligibility for the following year.
  • Studies show a positive link between academic performance and a part-time job.

Are work-study earning taxable income?
Work-study earnings are taxable income. They will appear on your W-2 Form. You must include your work-study earnings as part of your adjusted gross income. This is for federal and state tax purposes.

I don't qualify for FWS. What are my options?

  1. Student Employment Program (SEP)

You may be eligible for HACC Student Employment Program (SEP). HACC offers part-time employment in campus offices and activities. View open positions.

  • You must complete a FAFSA.
  • Individual departments pay for your wages out of their own budget. Funding levels determine job availability.
  1. The PHEAA State Work Study Program (SWSP)

PHEAA conducts off-campus State Work Study Programs (SWSP). PHEAA can arrange these for any term.

The positions are career-related. They provide work experience that coincides with your major.

Many students are eligible for the program. You must be:


  • A PA resident
  • Eligible for a PHEAA State grant or a subsidized Federal Stafford Loan


Employers benefit under this program. PHEAA reimburses them for a portion of your wages.

How can I learn more about student employment?