Health Career Program Clinical Admission Criteria
Health Career programs at HACC are selective and competitive. Learn about applying to the clinical portion of health career programs.
How do I qualify for the program?
All health career students are initially enrolled at HACC as pre-clinical students (i.e. Pre-Nursing, Pre-Respiratory, etc.) and must apply for the clinical phase of the program after completing minimum admission criteria (consult with your advisor and refer to Health Careers web pages). Admission to the college doesn't guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program.
Clinical students are those who have been officially selected and admitted to the program and are taking program theory and clinical coursework (NURS, RADT, RESP, etc. designation).
Download the appropriate Program Admission Criteria found at the bottom of this page to learn more about the admission criteria for your specific program of interest.
How do I apply to the clinical phase of a program?
To apply to the program, you must:
- Apply to HACC
- Be initially enrolled at HACC as a pre-clinical student (e.g. Pre-Nursing, Pre-Rad Tech, Pre-Respiratory, etc.)
- Apply for the clinical phase of the program after completing the minimum admission criteria. Consult with your advisor and refer to the appropriate Program Admission Criteria. This will provide more information on your specific program's requirements.
- Read and follow the
Code of Ethics (pdf). If you have previously withdrawn or been dismissed from another clinical health career program at HACC, you must submit a Good Standing Form.
What is the Admitted Student Profile (admission statistics)?
Our frequently updated Admitted Students Profile (pdf, rev 5/1/15) will help you learn about our applicants. We provide information including the number of qualified applicants, GPA range and average. We also include the point range for students accepted into program clinicals.
After acceptance into clinicals, what is required?
- Information and required forms will be provided to you upon acceptance into clinicals.
- The following must be completed (at your own expense) after you have been selected for, but prior to starting the clinical portion of the program.
- These may be required annually
- No student will be admitted with a disqualifying result or failure to meet the specified deadline. If you have questions, please contact the Program Director or your advisor.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- FBI Check
- State Police Criminal Record Check
- Random Drug/Alcohol Screening
- Physical examination and required immunizations
- Review the Human Services/Social Services Program Clearance Procedure (pdf, rev 2/14) for complete information on the necessary background checks.
- You must follow the Prohibitive Offense Procedure (pdf, rev 6/13) for Health Career Programs if you have a criminal background. If you have a disqualifying criminal history or child abuse record, you will NOT be admitted into the health career program. Contact the Program Director or your advisor if you have questions.
Below are the Program Admission Criteria for each specific program.
Cardiac Sonographer (rev 12/15/14)
Cardiovascular Technologist - Invasive (rev 12/15/14)
Dental Assistant (rev 7/2/14)
Dental Hygienist (rev 7/2/14)
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (rev 7/2/14)
Emergency Medical Technician (includes EMS Academy) (rev 9/11) 7/2/14
Human Services (rev 2/15)
Medical Assistant (rev 7/21/14)
Medical Laboratory Technician (rev 7/2/14)
Nuclear Medicine Technology (rev 8/13) 7/2/14
Nurse - includes RN, LPN (2013-14) 7/14/14-PN date change only
Nurse Aide (rev 7/23/14)
Paramedic (rev 7/2/14)
Phlebotomy Technician (rev 8/5/14)
Radiologic Technologist (rev 7/2/14)
Respiratory Therapist (rev 7/2/14)
Surgical Technologist (rev 7/2/14)