Pre-Health Professions - Associate in Science (AS) (3150)
Are you interested in pursuing a career in human or animal medicine, dentistry or chiropractic care? Or, perhaps, you would prefer pursuing a career in a specialty healthcare field, such as Nursing or another allied-health related field. Our Pre-Health Professions Program is designed to provide you the first two years of pre-health coursework so that you can transfer your credits to a four-year school and pursue your studies in a health-related field or prepare you to apply for entry into a Nursing or other allied health related program.
The opportunities in the workforce will vary depending on the direction you choose for your bachelor’s degree. Our program will allow you to transfer your credits and pursue a bachelor’s degree in one of the following specializations:
- Chiropractic care
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Physician’s assistant
- Veterinary medicine
This program could be perfect for you if you:
- Want to pursue your bachelor’s degree in a related healthcare field
- Want to enter a specialized healtcare field, such as Nursing
- Have strong communication skills and excel in math and science
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program program is designed for those of you, who wish to pursue careers in health-related fields as it provides you with the foundation necessary to prepare you for admission into one of HACC's health science degrees or transfer into a health science or health professions program at a four-year institution. Our program allows you to choose between two concentrations:
Our General Transfer concentration prepares you to enter into a bachelor's level program in a health-related field. You complete the first two years of a pre-health profession program and transfer your credits to pursue your education in such fields as:
- physical therapy
- occupational therapy
- physician assistant
- veterinary medicine
Our General Allied Health concentration, gives you the chance to focus your studies towards a specialized area within the healthcare field while completing the degree. Through this degree, you can complete the courses necessary to apply to one of HACC's specialized healthcare programs:
- Cardiovascular Technology
- Dental Hygiene
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Practical Nursing
- Radiologic Technology
- Respiratory Therapy
- Surgical Technology
Upon successful completion of this degree, you will be able to:
- Discuss and apply scientific principles and concepts
- Apply the scientific method to solve scientific problems
- Demonstrate the correct use of laboratory skills relevant to science and healthcare
- Be able to communicate information related to science and healthcare using appropriate terminology
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- View the Pre-Professional Health Careers Advising Sheet - Med/Dent (pdf)
- View the Pre-Professional Health Careers Advising Sheet - PT (pdf)
- View the Pre-Professional Health Careers Advising Sheet - Pharm (pdf)
- View the Pre-Professional Health Careers Advising Sheet - Vet (pdf)
- View the Pre-Professional Health Careers Advising Sheet - OT (pdf)
- View the Pre-Professional Health Careers Advising Sheet - PA (pdf)
- View the Pre-Professional Health Careers Advising Sheet - SLP (pdf)
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Absolutely! Our Pre-Health Professions General Transfer concentration is designed to help you seamlessly transfer your credits to a four-year school with no loss of credits. It is important that you select a four-year school as soon as possible because each individual school has its own unique program requirements. Knowing these requirements will help you select the proper courses at HACC. If you're enrolled in the General Allied Health concentration, your credits can be counted towards one of HACC's specilalized healthcare programs.
Your transfer options include:
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies (pdf)|
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, please visit this webpage to review the most up-to-date details about how courses are being offered.
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how you can apply.
You can enroll in the spring, summer and fall. To apply anytime, visit our website. When you submit your application, please include the unique program code 3150. By including this code, you will apply to the correct program.
If you want to earn an advanced degree in a healthcare field, we can help you get there. For more information about enrolling in this program, please contact an admissions counselor or contact Melinda Eash, the health careers department chair. Any questions you may have about the Nursing or Practical Nursing concentrations should be directed to the nursing department chair, Monica Filburn.