Human Services - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (5556)
Do you feel strongly about helping people reach their full potential? Do your friends tend to seek you out for help with their problems? Could you see yourself making a difference in a person’s life? If so, then our Human Services program may be the path for you!
With an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree, you will be prepared to enter the field as a human service professional. You may find entry-level employment in a number of social and human service fields, such as:
- Family services
- Mental health
- Support groups for people with intellectual disabilities
- Women’s programs
Often, students with the following skills find themselves drawn to this type of career.
- Strong communication
- Ability to work well with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Organized, reliable and responsible
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program prepares you to work as human service professionals, who provide direct-service delivery to clients in a variety of community-based social service agencies. Our curriculum promotes a generalist perspective that ensures you obtain the knowledge and skills necessary to function in most human service settings.
Upon completion of our program you will be able to:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients and their families to plan treatments and/or services
- Perform case management responsibilities in a variety of settings
- Explain the ethics and laws applicable to the human service field
- Recognize the characteristics of culturally diverse populations
Also, prior to enrolling into the HUMS 215 - Field Work Practicum course, you must complete a Pennsylvania child abuse history clearance, an FBI criminal background check and a state police criminal record check.
For the specific requirements and Student Handbook please visit the Health Careers Human Services webpage.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
This program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. Should you choose to transfer to a 4-year school, HACC has negotiated an agreement with Bloomsburg that will allow you to transfer with no loss of credits and complete a bachelor’s degree right here in Harrisburg. For other transfer options, check with your advisor or go to our Transfer Services Page.
Our various transfer options include:
|Elizabethtown College, Accelerated Programs:||Human Services into Human Services Behavioral and Addictions Counseling (pdf)|
|Elizabethtown College, Accelerated Programs:||Human Services into Human Services (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Human Development & Family Studies (pdf)|
|Saint Francis University - Francis Worldwide:||Human Services (A.A.S.) - Drug & Alcohol (pdf)|
|Saint Francis University - Francis Worldwide:||Human Services (A.A.S.) - General (pdf)|
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||Social Work (pdf)|
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. . Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for more details.
You can apply for our spring, summer and fall classes anytime by visiting our website. When you submit your application, please include the unique program code 5556. By including this code with your application, you can make sure you apply for the correct program.