Human Services/Social Services
Learn about the Human Services Associate in Applied Science and Social Services Associate in Arts Degrees.
Apply for the HUMS 215 Field Work Practicum course - the Intent to Enroll is online using Survey Monkey – https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HUMS_215_Intent. Contact Melinda Eash at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
What do human service professionals do?
Human service professionals:
- Provide direct service to clients in a variety of community-based social service agencies
- Advocate for clients within the community
- Perform administrative tasks such as grant writing and fund raising
Where do human service professionals work?
Human services professionals work in a variety of settings. These include:
- family services agencies
- women’s programs
- rehabilitation centers for alcohol dependency
- services for people with intellectual disabilities
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses for HUMS programs (pdf).
What degree will I earn?
Upon successful completion you will:
- Earn a Human Services Associate in Applied Science Degree or a Social Services Associate in Arts Degree
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the classes held?
Download the appropriate list for your program:
- Required Courses Social Services, Associate in Arts (5060) (Transfer) (pdf)
- Required Courses Human Services, Associate in Applied Science (5556) (pdf)
- The programs can be completed at the Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster and York Campuses. Some courses are offered at other campuses, sites, and online.
What are the program admission criteria and how do I apply for the practicum (HUMS 215)?
This program is selective. Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to the practicum – HUMS 215.
- All students who are entering HUMS 215 Field Work Practicum must submit any clearances required by the Practicum site, such as a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, FBI Check, and State Police Criminal Record Check, at the student’s expense, prior to starting the course.
- HACC will make every effort to allow students to complete their program of study in the Human Services/Social Services fields but cannot require facilities to accept student for practicum.
- Apply for the HUMS 215 Field Work Practicum course - the Intent to Enroll is online using Survey Monkey – https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HUMS_215_Intent. Contact Melinda Eash at email@example.com for questions.
Are the programs accredited?
The Social Services AA and the Human Services AAS program (General Track) is accredited by the Council for Standards in Human Service Education (CSHSE)
3337 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Can I advance my education in this field?
- The Human Services Associate degree program leads directly to an occupation.
- The Social Services degree is intended to transfer to a four-year institution to pursue a bachelor’s degree. The top schools our students transfer to are:
- Shippensburg University
- Elizabethtown College
- University Of Phoenix
- Millersville University Of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania State University
Download the following for additional information:
- Human Services Student Handbook, (pdf)
- Human Services Admission Criteria (pdf)
- Human Services Program News (pdf)
- Human Services Library (Lib) Guide - This guide contains resources for students in the Human Services and Social Services majors, including Reference Resources, Books, Journals, Web Sites, Statistics, Career Information, HUMS 215 Field Work Practicum, and Citing Sources in APA format.
- KeepKidsSafe.PA.gov (information hub for child protection)
- Ethical Standards for Human Services Professionals (NOHS)
- Advising Checksheets
- Enrollment Demographics (pdf)
- Grade Distribution (HUMS classes) (pdf)
- Graduates with GPA (pdf)
- Retention Rates (pdf)
- Transfer Status of Graduates (pdf) June 2016
Spring 2016 Survey Reports
- Graduate Survey Report (pdf)
- Employer Survey Report (pdf)
- Student Survey Report (pdf)
- Faculty Survey Report (pdf)
- National Association of Social Workers (PA Chapter)
- National Organization for Human Services
- https://addiction-counselor.org/careers-salary 2019 Counselor Career Options and Salary by State resource