Social Sciences - Associate in Arts (AA) (5090)
If you’re interested in any social science subject such as economics, geography, history or political science, our Social Sciences Program can be your first step towards obtaining your bachelor’s degree. As you work to complete our program to receive your Associate in Arts (AA) in social science, we can help you choose a specialization and transfer your credits to a four-year school.
After completing our program, you can transfer to a four-year school to study for your bachelor’s degree in:
- Political science
- Public administration
- Other social science fields
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our innovative professors will provide you with a solid foundation in your area of interest. You will select your courses based on your chosen specialty through social science electives. Once you complete our transfer program, you will be able to:
- Transfer into a social science discipline at a four-year institution
- Define the fundamental concepts, which include but are not limited to, terminology, institutions and issues associated with the disciplines studied by the student
- Describe the essential of methodologies, perspectives, approaches, processes and sources customarily used in the field(s) of study
- Describe the major issues and/or future challenges to the current problems and concerns discussed in the fields of study along with possible responses, solutions and/or remedies
- Describe how factors such as culture, institutions, environment, knowledge, beliefs and/or ideology have affected human activity and outcomes at the local, national and international levels
- Explain the technology and communication forms and methods used in discussing and disseminating knowledge and ideas in the specific fields of study
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Conveniently YOURS, our programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you take the proper classes at HACC.
Our various transfer options are:
|Elizabethtown College:||Social Sciences into Sociology & Anthropology, History or Political Science (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||Social Science into Social Work (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||Social Science into Geography (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||Social Science into Government and Political Affairs (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||Social Science into History & BSed in Social Studies (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||Social Science into International Studies (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||Social Science into Sociology (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Sociology (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Public Policy (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Political Science (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||American Studies (pdf)|
|Penn State Mont Alto:||Program to Program Agreements (pdf)|
|Penn State York:||Program to Program Transfer Information (pdf)|
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Social Science into Social Work (pdf)|
Yes! The HACC Foundation provides approximately 200 scholarships with unique eligibility requirements.
You can apply anytime through our website for spring, summer and fall classes. When you apply online, please include the code 5090 that is specific to this program. This code will ensure you are applying to the correct program.
We want to be YOUR partner in education and social sciences. For more information on the Social Sciences program and your transfer options, please contact an admissions counselor or the interim department chair, Mark Nelson, to get your questions answered. We look forward to helping you fulfill your career goals.