Human Services/Social Services
Learn about the Human Services and Social Services programs -Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster and York Campuses.
What is a social service worker?
Social service workers work in a variety of settings. They perform various duties. In general, they must:
- Conduct interviews
- Develop assessments
- Create service plans
- Monitor progress of their clients
- Revise plans as necessary
- Record accurate information
- Impart information to senior staff
- Interact well with others
- Have excellent communication and organizational skills
- Have strong writing skills
- Be flexible and resourceful
In schools, social workers can serve as counselors. You must:
- Help students and families
- Create educational plans
- Create policies that prevent violence
- Encourage collaboration among students
In hospitals and rehabilitation centers, you must:
- Work with patients and their families
- Construct useful discharge plans and specialized support services
- Conduct educational programs
- Conduct group sessions and individual planning
- Provide support and encouragement
Social service workers can also work at:
- Independent living facilities
- Suicide hotlines
- Substance abuse programs
How much do social service workers make?
The median salaries for social service workers in Pennsylvania are:
- $26,700 for social and human service assistants
- $37,500 for child, family and school social workers
- $51,300 for educational, vocational and school counselors
These salaries are according to 2012 data.
What is the employment outlook?
The human services field will grow over the next 10 years. Most HACC students find employment before graduation or within the first 4 weeks after graduation.
Almost all social service agencies have entry level positions. Students can work as technicians, case managers and more.
What is the goal of HACC's Social Services program?
- The Social Services AA degree is 62 credits. It prepares students to transfer to 4 year colleges for pursuit of a Bachelor's Degree. Students can work in social service agencies in entry level positions.
- The Human Services AA degree is 62 credits. It prepares students to work in entry level positions in human service agencies. However, it does not require specific courses needed to transfer to a 4-year institution.
- The Certificate in Human Services is 31 credits. Students can complete it in two semesters. It prepares students for entry level positions with little opportunity to advance. The certificate can transfer into the Social Services or Human Services degree program.
Social Services students can transfer to 4 year programs in social work and counseling. The Human Services program will prepare students for entry-level positions in various fields:
- Mental health and retardation
- Day care
- Family services
- Drug and alcohol rehabilitation
- Community development
Human service technicians work with people seeking social services and daily care. Students in our program will learn how to give daily direction and support.
Human service technicians will learn to:
- Manage residential homes
- Work in hospital units
- Provide case management service
- Transport individuals
- Monitor special needs of adults and children
How do I enroll in the program?
This program is selective. Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to clinicals.
Download the following forms for enrollment information:
- Human Services/Social Services Clearance Procedure (pdf)
- Human Services Student Handbook, 11th edition, 8/25/14 (pdf)
- HUMS 215 Field Work Practicum Handbook, 12th Edition, 2014 (pdf)
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Forms (CY-113)
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History Request Form (SP-164)
- FBI check - Cogent Systems
- Act 14 Prohibitive Offenses from PDE website (rev 1/13)
- Ethical Standards for Human Services Professionals (NOHS)
What are the required courses?
Download the appropriate list for your program:
- Required Courses Social Services, Associate in Art (Transfer) (pdf)
- Required Courses Human Services, Associate in Arts (pdf)
- Required Courses Human Services, Certificate Program (pdf)
What are the additional expenses?
Download Estimated Expenses for HUMS programs (pdf, rev 5/2014).
HACC awards the Associate's Degree upon completion of 62 credits.
Program effectiveness data
- College Data Book
- Program Outcomes (pdf) 9/12
- Graduate Survey Report (pdf) 6/13
- Employer Survey Report (pdf) 6/13
- Retention Rates (pdf) 8/13
- Transfer Status of Graduates (pdf) 8/13
- Pass rate on HS-BCP Credentialing Exam - not applicable; exam not a required component of the program
- Shippensburg University has a cohort. It leads to a BS in social work.