Programs And Courses

Human Service/Social Services

Human Services/Social Services

Learn about the Human Services and Social Services programs -Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster and York Campuses.


What is a social service worker?

Social service workers work in a variety of settings. They perform various duties. In general, they must:

  • Conduct interviews
  • Develop assessments
  • Create service plans
  • Monitor progress of their clients
  • Revise plans as necessary
  • Record accurate information
  • Impart information to senior staff
  • Interact well with others
  • Have excellent communication and organizational skills
  • Have strong writing skills
  • Be flexible and resourceful

In schools, social workers can serve as counselors. You must:

  • Help students and families
  • Create educational plans
  • Create policies that prevent violence
  • Encourage collaboration among students

In hospitals and rehabilitation centers, you must:

  • Work with patients and their families
  • Construct useful discharge plans and specialized support services
  • Conduct educational programs
  • Conduct group sessions and individual planning
  • Provide support and encouragement

Social service workers can also work at:

  • Independent living facilities
  • Suicide hotlines
  • Substance abuse programs


How much do social service workers make?

The median salaries for social service workers in Pennsylvania are:

  • $26,700 for social and human service assistants
  • $37,500 for child, family and school social workers
  • $51,300 for educational, vocational and school counselors

These salaries are according to 2012 data.


What is the employment outlook?

The human services field will grow over the next 10 years. Most HACC students find employment before graduation or within the first 4 weeks after graduation.

Almost all social service agencies have entry level positions. Students can work as technicians, case managers and more.


What is the goal of HACC's Social Services program?

  1. The Social Services AA degree is 62 credits. It prepares students to transfer to 4 year colleges for pursuit of a Bachelor's Degree. Students can work in social service agencies in entry level positions.
  2. The Human Services AA degree is 62 credits. It prepares students to work in entry level positions in human service agencies. However, it does not require specific courses needed to transfer to a 4-year institution.
  3. The Certificate in Human Services is 31 credits. Students can complete it in two semesters. It prepares students for entry level positions with little opportunity to advance. The certificate can transfer into the Social Services or Human Services degree program.

Social Services students can transfer to 4 year programs in social work and counseling. The Human Services program will prepare students for entry-level positions in various fields:

  • Mental health and retardation
  • Day care
  • Gerontology
  • Family services
  • Drug and alcohol rehabilitation
  • Community development

Human service technicians work with people seeking social services and daily care. Students in our program will learn how to give daily direction and support.

Human service technicians will learn to:

  • Manage residential homes
  • Work in hospital units
  • Provide case management service
  • Transport individuals
  • Monitor special needs of adults and children

How do I enroll in the program?

This program is selective. Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to clinicals.

Download the following forms for enrollment information:

What are the required courses?

Download the appropriate list for your program:


What are the additional expenses?

Download Estimated Expenses for HUMS programs (pdf, rev 5/2014).  

What degree will I earn?

HACC awards the Associate's Degree upon completion of 62 credits.

Program effectiveness data

Where can I advance my education?

Where can I get more information?


Who can I contact for more information?

Contact Wendy Bratina - (717-221-1764)

Contact Michael Williams (717-780-2492) during summer months (May 15 - August 8).