Health Science - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (3656)
Do you already hold a position in a healthcare-related field for which you are actively credentialed or licensed? Do you want to advance your knowledge and skills? If this sounds like you, our Health Science program may put you on the track to obtaining higher positions within your organization.
This program is designed specifically for individuals who already have a degree and wish to advance their skills in specific areas. However, there are transfer opportunities available should you wish to continue your education within one of the specializations and obtain a bachelor’s degree.
If you do not have a healthcare credential and are not working in the healthcare field, you may be interested in the associate in healthcare management.
After graduating from our Health Science program, you will be ready to advance your career in:
- Dental Assisting (Expanded Function Dental Assistant)
- Social Serivces
This program may be the perfect fit if you:
- Work in the healthcare field of management/marketing, radiologic imaging or social services
- Want to advance your career within your organization
- Possess strong math and computer skills
- Can communicate effectively with others
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program is ideal if you currently work in health care and have credentials. Your healthcare credential or licensure allows you to receive up to 30 credits towards the completion of the associate degree. You will select from one of the following areas of study to focus your coursework:
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA)
- Radiologic Imaging
- Social Services
If you are interested in enrolling in the EFDA, or the radiologic imaging concentrations, you must possess the primary certification for each of these areas or meet the requirements to sit for a primary certification from an approved medical imaging board.
If you have the following certification, you may enroll in the EFDA cocentration:
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) from the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB)
If you have a primary certification from an approved medical imaging board, you may enroll in the Radiologi Imaging concentration.
Because of the nature of our program, it is selective. This means that certain criteria must be met beyond our standard admission application. For the specific requirements and approved credentials please visit the health careers section of our website.
After graduating from one of the following concentrations in our Health Science Program, you will be able to:
Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA) Concentration:
- Apply concepts of restorative terminology, tooth anatomy, and restorative dental materials to restorative procedures.
- Demonstrate skills to meet the requirements established by the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry.
- Demonstrate basic competency for placing and finishing amalgam and composite resin restorations on patients.
- Demonstrates ethical conduct in restorative care and decision making.
- Write and speak effectively.
- Demonstrate competencies needed to gain employment in the physician practices, hospitals or vendors in the medical areas
- Demonstrate proficiency in all aspects of medical management for the hospital and/or physician practice
- Demonstrate the concepts of marketing to target audiences
- Discuss human resource issues in the hospital or medical office
- Incorporate Healthcare Law and Ethics into the changing healthcare environment
- Write and speak effectively
Radiologic Imaging Concentration
- Demonstrate competencies needed to gain employment in the physician practices, hospitals or with vendors in the medical areas
- Demonstrate knowledge of medical imaging modalities and their uses
- Demonstrate the concepts of patient care in medical imaging
- Use medical imaging equipment for diagnosis and/or treatment of patients
- Write and speak effectively
Social Services Concentration
- Recognize race and cultural relations as they relate to the healthcare area
- Demonstrate life-cycle development in a variety of patient populations
- Write and speak effectively
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Our Health Science Program is designed for individuals who are currently employed in the healthcare field and possess a license or credential. If you wish to continue your education and pursue a bachelor’s degree, there are transfer opportunities. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible as each school has its own unique program requirements. It is important that you know what your desired school’s program requirements are early enough so that you can take the proper courses at HACC.
Browse our various transfer options below:
|Saint Francis University - Francis Worldwide:||Health Science (A.A.S.) (pdf)|
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit https://www.hacc.edu/Scholarships for details and deadlines.
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. To apply anytime, visit our website. When you submit your application please include program code 3656 to ensure you apply to correct program.