Photography - Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) (2850)
Do you have a passion for photography? Do you enjoy learning how to capture memories and moments on film or in digital medium? Our Photography Program can help you refine your photography skills to gain entry-level employment in the fields of artistic and commercial photography.
After completing our program and receiving your Associate in Fine Arts (AFA), we can help you prepare for an entry-level photography position or transfer your credits to a four-year institution or professional art school.
Our Photography program is an ideal career path if you:
• Enjoy shooting photography and solving visual programs
• Possess an interest in the artistic, commercial and expressive use of photography
• Want to learn more about the history and esthetics of photography and art
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
• Average hourly wages
• Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
• Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
• Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
• Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our passionate professors teach hands-on photography skills through critiques and lectures. See galleries of their innovative professional work here. You’ll gain the fundamental skills and techniques of traditional photography along with an emphasis in digital photography. You also can create and prepare photographic works in our state-of-art digital labs and traditional photographic studio. See galleries of premier HACC student work here.
Like Ollie Riley, a photography student at HACC, you will receive hands-on training, opportunities to showcase your artwork and learn from talented instructors. In this video, he shares his thoughts about our program. Additionally, his work and passion for photography turned into a trip to New York to receive an award at Carnegie Hall. This is what success looks like for a HACC photography student!
We prepare you to:
• Utilize the basic craft and esthetic principles of photography
• Apply acquired skills to both art and commercial photography
• Acquire knowledge of the history and esthetics of photography and art
At the end of the program, you will complete a photography and art portfolio that is needed to gain acceptance to a four-year college, university or professional art school. You also can use this portfolio during a job interview to display your skills.
The National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) accredits our Art programs. NASAD, a specialized accrediting agency for schools of art and design, is responsible for establishing curricular standards and guidelines for specific degrees and credentials. The U.S. Department of Education recognizes NASAD, and membership requires a peer review process of accreditation.
HACC has an exciting line-up of national and international art, design and photography exhibits, lectures and workshops each academic year. Visit the Rose Lehrman Arts Gallery for more information on the latest events.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Affordably YOURS, our programs give you flexibility to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Once you complete our Photography program, you can transfer to:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)|
|Pennsylvania College of Art & Design:||Photography Articulation Agreement (pdf)|