CVT: Invasive Cardiovascular Technology - Associate in Science (AS) (3510)
Heart disease is the number one killer of men and women. Do you want to help address this issue?
If you are looking for a healthcare career that allows you to share your compassion for others and work directly with patients, consider a career in cardiovascular technology.
After receiving your Associate in Science in invasive cardiovascular technology, you will be ready to enter the healthcare field as an invasive cardiovascular technologist.
An Invasive cardiovascular technologists is a highly specialized and knowledgeable healthcare professional who is educated and trained to perform invasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures under the direction of the physician to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients with cardiac disease.
As a cardiovascular technologist, specializing in the invasive field, you will have the skills to work specifically in a cardiac catheterization laboratory in a hospital setting.
Individuals who are successful in this field usually have these skills:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving ability
- Medical knowledge including anatomy, physiology and psychophysiology
- Possess sufficient skills to handle equipment and provide safe and effective patient care
- Are physically fit to handle long hours on your feet and help move and lift patients
- Able to pay attention to details
- Able to perform procedures with a high-level of skill and expertise
- Communicate effectively and hold strong interpersonal skills to interact with patients, family members, physicians and co-workers
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our Invasive Cardiovascular Technology Program gives you the knowledge and skills to become an invasive cardiovascular technologist, who works in cardiac catheterization laboratories performing diagnostic and interventional procedures on patients with heart disease. Our clinical component allows you the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in affiliated healthcare facilities and apply the skills and techniques taught in the classroom to real-life situations.
Our program is selective, which means that you must meet special entry requirements that go beyond your standard admission criteria for HACC. Before starting the clinical portion of the program, you must complete the following items at your own expense:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI background check
- Physical examination and immunizations
- Drug and alcohol screens
- CPR certification
At the completion of our program, you will be able to:
- Prepare competent entry level cardiovascular technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains for invasive cardiovascular technology
- Be knowledgeable in anatomy, pathology, physiology and technical methods required for entry-level invasive cardiovascular specialists
- Possess problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical abilities
- Possess the professional and ethical characteristics of a healthcare provider
- Possess effective communication skills
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of professional growth, continuing education and professional certification
- Possess the knowledge and skills required of an entry-level invasive cardiovascular specialists
Our program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
This program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. Should you choose to transfer to a 4-year school, HACC has negotiated agreements with some four-year schools that allow you to transfer with no loss of credits and complete a bachelor’s degree. For transfer options for this program, check with the Program Director or your advisor.
Browse our various transfer options:
|Saint Francis University - Francis Worldwide:||Cardiovascular Technology-Invasive Cardiovascular Technology (A.A.S.) (pdf)|
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how you can apply.
We offer courses in the spring, summer and fall. To apply anytime, please visit our website. When enrolling into our Invasive Cardiovascular Technology Program, you must apply to the non-clinical component of the program first. Therefore, please use program code 3510 to apply to the correct program.