Cardiovascular Technologist - Invasive
Learn more about our Invasive Cardiovascular Technologist Associate in Science Degree Program.
What does an invasive cardiovascular technologist do?
Invasive cardiovascular technologists have various duties. They:
- Assist physicians with cardiac catheterization procedures (a small tube - a catheter - is guided through the patient's blood vessels into the heart or cardiovascular system).
- Perform and review patient assessment
- Provide patient care before, during and after procedures
- Administer medications under the direction of a physician
- Operate and maintain equipment
- Develop differential diagnoses based on the patient's history and examination findings
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf) for a list of estimated expenses.
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion you:
- will earn an Invasive Cardiovascular Technology Associate in Science Degree
- are eligible to sit for the Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS) through Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI).
What are the required courses?
- Download a list of Required Courses. The list includes a sample schedule (pdf, rev 5/13).
- HACC holds CVT classes at the Lancaster campus. Prerequisite courses are offered at other campuses and sites.
- HACC assigns clinical rotations within 90 miles of the Lancaster campus. Several hospitals in the Lancaster, York, Harrisburg and Philadelphia areas are affiliated with the program.
- Transportation to and from clinical affiliates is your responsibility.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. You begin as a pre-clinical student and work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- Download the Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf, rev 12/15/14).
- Complete the clinical application (online using Survey Monkey). The application is available online using Survey Monkey this spring for a fall 2017 clinical start. Check back for details.
Is the program accredited?
The CVT program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Can I advance my education in this field?
- This program leads directly to an occupation.
- Students can pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in a health related field in order to transition into a management, education or industry position.
- Franklin University offers a BS in Allied Healthcare Management.
- Shippensburg University offers a BS in Healthcare Administration.
- Immaculata University offers an accelerated BA in Health Care Management. They offer classes in accelerated format at HACC's Lancaster Campus.
What are the program goals?
Program goals are to prepare students to:
- Be competent entry-level cardiovascular technologists.
- Demonstrate competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains for adult cardiac catheterization.
What is the most current (2013-2015) program effectiveness data?
- Five-year program completion rate —93%
- Program performance on national board exam —100%
- Job placement —87%
How can I get more information?
- Download the FAQ (pdf).
- View a video explaining cardiac catheterization .
- View a video of local people explaining the procedure at the Phoenixville Hospital.
- Download the Career brochure From Sloan Career Cornerstone Center (pdf).
- Visit Career InfoNet for salary and job outlook statistics, career video and licensing requirements.
- Visit Alliance of Cardiovascular Professionals . Select "Careers" at the top of the page.
- Visit Society of Invasive Cardiovascular Professionals .
- Download the CVT Student Handbook (pdf, 2015)
Who can I contact for more information?
Invasive Cardiovascular Technology Program Office
HACC Lancaster Campus
East Building, Room 207
1641 Old Philadelphia Pike Lancaster, PA 17602