Automotive Technology - Certificate (4200)
Do you have a passion for working on cars that are now integrated with sophisticated electronic systems and complex emissions controls that serve to regulate every part of the vehicle? Would like the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with the latest in diagnostic tools to solve challenging automotive repair problems? If so, then HACC Automotive Technology certificate can help you accomplish your goals!
Graduate are prepared to enter the job market as service technicians in dealerships and automotive repair facilities.
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our Automotive Technology certificate is designed to prepare you with skills and knowledge needed to enter the job market as automotive repair service technicians. If you are a career and technology high school student, or already employed within the industry, our certificate coursework covers:
- Automotive fundamentals
- Electrical and electronics
- Fuel and emission control systems
- Suspension and braking systems
- Engine performance testing
- Automotive HVAC systems
Your coursework completes with a 480-hour cooperative work experience done at an approved automotive repair facility and the PA State Safety Inspector and Emission Inspector certifications.
Upon graduation from this certificate, you will be prepared to:
- Complete the Pennsylvania State Emissions Inspector and Safety Inspection License Certifications
- Work as entry-level service technicians in automotive repair facilities or dealerships
Note* If you are a graduate of a career and technology school auto-mechanics program, or you have substantial work experience in the field, you may receive up to nine (9) credits towards completion this certificate – provided you submit the appropriate documentation.
This is a Selective Admissions program, which means that certain admissions criteria must met to be accepted into this program. Such criteria include a passing grade on a mechanical aptitude test and you must have a valid PA Driver’s license.
Our Automotive Technology certificate is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, opportunities exist to help you advance your education, if you wish to do so.
- You may enroll into HACC’s Automotive Technology AAS degree and have your coursework count towards the credits needed to completed that program. Once you have graduated from the AAS, you may further your education by transferring your credits to a four-year college or university and pursue a Bachelor’s degree.
- You may enroll in HACC’s Advanced Automotive Specialty Skills diploma, which is designed as an advanced degree option. It allows you to expand your knowledge and skills to learn upper-level automotive repair areas so that you are more equipped to tackle challenging diagnostic and repair jobs.
For your convenience, you can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus provided you take some of your required coursework through multiple modalities (e.g, Blended, Online and/or Remote Learning).
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC. Submit your application anytime by visiting our website. When you submit your application, make sure to include the specific program code #4200. By using this code, you will ensure you are applying for the correct program.