Automotive Technology - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (4480)
Today’s vehicles are integrated with electronic systems and complex emissions controls that regulate every part of a vehicle. Technicians must have an increasingly broad knowledge of how these systems work and interact with each other.
We offer a high-quality Associate in Applied Science in automotive technology degree that provides the skills you need to find employment – even in a management position.
Our program is accredited in eight categories of automotive repair by the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Education Foundation
As a graduate of our Automotive Technology Program, you will:
- Be prepared to work as an auto service technician
- Have the skills needed to move into service advising and management
- Be able to explore career paths like parts management, fixed operations management and technical training
Do these characteristics sound like you?
- Enjoy working on cars
- Communicate well with others
- Solve problems
- Find interest in how technology is changing
- Like to work with your hands
- Describe yourself as mechanically inclined
- Want to explore expanding your career and possibly moving into management
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Our selective program is ideal for high school graduates, career and technical graduates and individuals working in the industry. Since the program is selective, your admission into the College does not guarantee you’ll be enrolled into this program.
You must meet specific requirements for this program, such as earn a passing grade on a mechanical aptitude test and have a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
If you graduated from an auto-mechanics program at a career and technical school or have substantial work experience, you may receive up to nine credits toward your certificate. You must submit proper documentation to receive these credits.
As you complete our program, you will be ready to:
- Complete the Pennsylvania State Emissions Inspector and the Safety Inspection License exams
- Work as service technicians in automotive repair facilities or dealerships
- Work in management positions within the automotive service industry or operate their own repair facility
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to complete the ASE (National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence) student test series and a 480-hour co-operative work experience at an approved automotive repair facility.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Yes! Our associate degree programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
As an automotive technology student, your transfer options include:
|Pennsylvania College of Technology:||Automotive Technology (pdf)|
We offer the complete program only at our Harrisburg Campus.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
You can enroll in HACC classes for the spring, summer and fall anytime. Please include program code 4480 with your application. This code guarantees you’re applying to the correct program.