Nurse Aide Training Program
Learn more about our nurse aide course offered statewide. Successful completion of this course prepares you to take the Pennsylvania Nurse Aide Competency Exam and enroll in the Nurse Aide registry for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
When and where are the classes held?
HACC offers on-site training at numerous locations throughout Pennsylvania.
Due to the current Covid-19 situation all Nurse Aide Training Programs are currently in the process of being rescheduled.
Please check back for schedule updates. If you have questions, please contact the Nurse Aide Training Program at email@example.com or by phone at 717-221-1352.
Please visit www.hacc.edu/coronavirus for more information.
View upcoming class schedules
View the Central Region Class Offerings:
- Adams County SpiriTrust Lutheran Schedule (pdf)
- Dauphin County HACC Blocker Hall Schedule
- Cumberland County Claremont Nursing Schedule (pdf)
- Franklin County Menno Haven Retirement Schedule (pdf)
View the North Region Class Offerings:
- Dauphin County Premier at Susquehanna Village Schedule (pdf)
- Lycoming County Rose View Schedule
- Mifflin County Valley View Haven Schedule (pdf)
- Montour County Emmanuel Center Schedule (pdf)
- Northumberland County Manor Care Sunbury Schedule (pdf)
- Northumberland County Mountain View Nursing Schedule (pdf)
- Northumberland County Nottingham Village Schedule (pdf)
- Union County Riverwoods Schedule (pdf)
View the South Central Class Offerings:
- Lancaster County HACC Lancaster Campus Schedule
- Lancaster County Landis Homes Schedule (pdf)
- Lancaster County Maple Farm Schedule (pdf)
How do I register for the class?
- Download the Information Packet (pdf). It includes general information, admission criteria, essential qualifications, registration form and health form.
- Select the class you are interested in and have a second choice in case your first choice is already full.
- Call 717-780-2414 to register. Have your Visa or MasterCard ready.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions.
- Recommended Timeline - This information is being provided as a guideline.
If you have not had a physical exam, two-step PPD (Tuberculin) test and criminal history background check in the past year, these are the recommended timelines to complete the steps before your nurse aide class begins:
- Four weeks prior: request Pennsylvania State Police background check
- Three weeks prior: have your physical performed
- Three weeks prior: have your first PPD test administered and read
- One week prior: have your second PPD test administered and read
What do nurse aides do?
Nurse aides (NAs, direct care workers) perform various duties under the supervision of a nurse. They:
- Provide care and assist clients who cannot care for themselves
- Measure and record vital signs
- Assist clients with bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting
- Care for clients with catheters
- Provide range of motion exercises
- Transport clients in wheelchairs, make beds
- Provide infection control and safety awareness
- Provide post-mortem care
How much does the program cost?
The program costs $1098. This includes books. Effective January 1, 2021, tuition is $1,268.
Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion, you will be prepared to take the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) exam (administered by Pearson Vue) You must be at least 16 to take this exam.
How long does the program take to complete? Where are the classes held?
- HACC offers on-site training at numerous locations throughout Pennsylvania.
- It is an intense 120-hour training program. It can take 18 days to 26 evenings to complete based on which class you choose.
- Attendance during the first 24 hours of class are mandatory (or the student will be immediately dismissed). After the first 24 class hours, missed time must be made up.
- Students must complete the full 120 hours and score at least 75% on each written exam to receive the certificate of completion
- Recommended study time is 30 minutes for every hour of class. Expect to study for 3.5 hours the evening after a 7-hour class day.
What are the program admission criteria?
- This is a non-credit course. You are not required to submit a college application, school transcripts or placement testing results.
- Download and submit a completed Nurse Aide Health Examination Form (also in the Information Packet above) (pdf).
- Obtain a two-step tuberculin test (PPD) (See instructions in the Information Packet).
- Obtain a Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check. (See instructions in the Information Packet.)
- If you have not been a resident of Pennsylvania for the past two consecutive years or have been convicted in another state (no matter how many years ago) of any of the offenses listed on the Prohibitive Offense List, you must complete and obtain a FBI report in addition to the PA State Police background check.
- Download Procedure For Obtaining an FBI Report (pdf)
- Important information about FBI checks: beginning Jan. 1, 2019, only Pennsylvania Department of Education FBI checks will be accepted for the Nurse Aide Training Program.
- Download the Nurse Aide Prohibitive Offenses and Forms (pdf). (Includes Verification of PA Residency & Attestation of Compliance with Act 14)
- No student will be admitted or retained in the program with a disqualifying result.
- HACC does not require it, but many facilities require employees to be 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED.
Is the program accredited?
The Nurse Aide Training Program is approved by the PA Department of Education.
How can I get more information?
- Visit Career InfoNet for salary and job outlook statistics, career videos and licensing requirements.
- Visit the PA Department of Health for nurse aide registry exam information.