How do I register for the class?
- Download the Information Packet (pdf). It includes general information, admission criteria, essential qualifications, registration form and health form.
- Select the class you are interested in and have a second choice in case your first choice is already full.
- Call 717-780-2414 to register. Have your Visa or MasterCard ready.
- Email NATP@hacc.edu if you have additional questions.
- Recommended Timeline - This information is being provided as a guideline.
If you have not had a physical exam, two-step PPD (Tuberculin) test and criminal history background check in the past year, these are the recommended timelines to complete the steps before your nurse aide class begins:
• Four weeks prior: request Pennsylvania State Police background check
• Three weeks prior: have your physical performed
• Three weeks prior: have your first PPD test administered and read
• One week prior: have your second PPD test administered and read
What do nurse aides do?
Nurse aides (NAs, direct care workers) perform various duties under the supervision of a nurse. They:
- Provide care and assist clients who cannot care for themselves
- Measure and record vital signs
- Assist clients with bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting
- Care for clients with catheters
- Provide range of motion exercises
- Transport clients in wheelchairs, make beds
- Provide infection control and safety awareness
- Provide post-mortem care
How much does the program cost?
The program costs $1098. This includes books.
Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion, you will be prepared to take the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) exam (administered by Pearson Vue) You must be at least 16 to take this exam.
How long does the program take to complete? Where are the classes held?
- HACC offers on-site training at numerous locations throughout Pennsylvania.
- It is an intense 120-hour training program. It can take 17 days to 29 evenings to complete based on which class you choose.
- Attendance during the first 24 hours of class are mandatory (or the student will be immediately dismissed). After the first 24 class hours, missed time must be made up.
- Students must complete the full 120 hours and score at least 75% on each written exam to receive the certificate of completion
- Recommended study time is 30 minutes for every hour of class. Expect to study for 3.5 hours the evening after a 7-hour class day.
What are the program admission criteria?
- This is a non-credit course. You are not required to submit a college application, school transcripts or placement testing results.
- Download the Information Packet (pdf). It includes admission criteria, essential qualifications, registration form and health form and recommended timeline.
- Download and submit a completed Nurse Aide Health Examination Form (also in the Information Packet above) (pdf).
- Obtain a two-step tuberculin test (PPD) (See instructions in the Information Packet).
- Obtain a Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check. (See instructions in the Information Packet.)
- If you have not been a resident of Pennsylvania for the past two consecutive years or have been convicted in another state (no matter how many years ago) of any of the offenses listed on the Prohibitive Offense List, you must complete and obtain a FBI report in addition to the PA State Police background check.
- Download Procedure For Obtaining an FBI Report (pdf).
- No student will be admitted or retained in the program with a disqualifying result.
- HACC does not require it, but many facilities require employees to be 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED.
Is the program accredited?
The Nurse Aide Training Program is approved by the PA Department of Education.
How can I get more information?
- Download the Information Packet (pdf). It includes information, admission criteria, essential qualifications, registration form and health form.
- Visit Career InfoNet for salary and job outlook statistics, career videos and licensing requirements.
- Visit the PA Department of Health for nurse aide registry exam information.
Who can I contact for more information?
Nurse Aide Training Program
1523 North Fourth Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102
View directions from Harrisburg Campus (Google Maps).