Learn more about our Dental Hygiene Associate in Science Degree program.
Apply for clinicals - the clinical application for Fall 2020 will be here in Spring of 2020. You must have already taken the TEAS test (minimum score 52.7) and attended a mandatory application session within the past 12 months. The application deadline is March 15.
Download Lancaster Campus TEAS Test Schedule (with links to reserve a seat) (pdf)
Download Gettysburg Campus TEAS Prep Workshops (pdf)
Download Harrisburg Campus TEAS prep academic coaching flyer (pdf)
Download Lancaster Campus TEAS Prep Workshops (pdf)
Download York Campus TEAS Prep Workshops (pdf) See the flier for workshop dates.
Attend a workshop to…
- Review ATI TEAS test sections
- types of questions in each section
- time allowances per section
- Review test prep strategies and resources
- Learn test day strategies
What does a dental hygienist do?
A dental hygienist is qualified by education and licensure to provide:
- Patient assessment - including reviewing health history, recording vital signs, radiographic examination, and charting
- Treatment planning
- Patient education
- Administration of local anesthesia
- Removal of deposits and stains from teeth
- Placement of sealants
Learn more about the career (American Dental Association website).
Where do dental hygienists work?
Graduates have found employment opportunities as
- public health advocates
How much does the program cost?
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion, you will:
- earn a Dental Hygiene Associate in Science degree
- be eligible to sit for licensing exams to become Registered Dental Hygienists (RDH)
- find out about credentialing from the American Dental Hygiene Association (ADHA) and the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry.
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
- Download a list of Required Courses, which includes a sample schedule (pdf).
- Dental Hygiene classes are held at the Harrisburg Campus. Prerequisite courses are offered at other campuses and sites.
- Download a Sample Fall Schedule (pdf).
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. Work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- You are required to meet with a Health Careers advisor and complete general education courses before applying for the clinical portion.
- Download Admission Criteria, Point System and Essential Qualifications (pdf).
- Apply for clinicals - the clinical application for Fall 2020 will be here in Spring of 2020. You must have already taken the TEAS test (minimum score 52.7) and attended a mandatory application session within the past 12 months. The application deadline is March 15.
- Attend a dental hygiene program mandatory information session. Check back for 2020 dates.
- Download the Competencies for Entry into the Profession of Dental Hygiene
- Download the Dental Hygienist Shadowing Form
- Download the Verification of Clinical Dental Assisting Hours Form (pdf)
- Learn more information regarding immunization requirements for the dental hygiene program
Is the program accredited?
The program is accredited by The Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association (CODA).
Can I advance my education?
- This program leads directly to an occupation
- Learn more about the Local Anesthesia for Dental Hygienists Course - Offered occasionally (pdf).
- Learn more about Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary Program (EFDA).
- Learn more about Local Anesthesia for Dental Hygienists - next course Spring 2017
- Students can pursue
What are the program goals?
- Download the Program Mission Statement (pdf).
What is the most current (2016) program effectiveness data?
- Five-year completion rate 85%
- Program performance on national board exams (five years) 87% success rate at second attempt is 100%
- Clinical examination 90% pass rate
- Written exam portion 97% pass rate
- Job placement 100%
How can I get more information?
- View a list of available scholarships.
- Review the CODA Complaint Policy.
- Download HACC's Dental Treatment Facility.
- Download the Program Faculty and Staff (pdf).
Dental Hygiene Program Office
Select Medical Health Education Pavilion (SMHEP), Room 104
HACC Harrisburg Campus
1 HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Mail clinical program addendum to the above address Attention: DH Secretary.