Learn more about our Dental Hygiene Associate in Science Degree program.
Apply for clinicals - Fall 2022 clinical application will be here in Spring 2022.
Download Intro to Dentistry course information (pdf) Check back early Summer 2021 to register. Course participants will receive two points on their dental hygiene application.
What does a dental hygienist do?
A dental hygienist is qualified by education and licensure to provide:
- Patient assessment - including reviewing health history, recording vital signs, radiographic examination, and charting
- Treatment planning
- Patient education
- Administration of local anesthesia
- Removal of deposits and stains from teeth
- Placement of sealants
Learn more about the career (American Dental Association website).
How much does the program cost?
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion, you will:
- earn a Dental Hygiene Associate in Science degree
- be eligible to sit for licensing exams to become a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
- Download a list of Required Courses, which includes a sample schedule (pdf).
- The dental hygiene program holds classes at the Harrisburg Campus. General education courses may be taken at other campuses and sites.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. Work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- Meet with a dental hygiene advisor.
- Download Admission Criteria, Point System and Essential Qualifications (pdf).
- Apply for clinicals - Fall 2022 clinical application will be here Spring 2022.
- You must have already taken the TEAS test (minimum score 62)
- and attended a mandatory application session within the past 12 months.
Learn more about the TEAS test here. Includes link to the ATI website to register, remote proctoring, contact information, study groups and TEAS information sessions.
- The TEAS test will be updated to Version 7 this fall.
- For the 2022 application cycle: Either the Version 6 or Version 7 will be accepted.
- Beginning in fall of 2023 ONLY Version 7 tests will be accepted.
- Attend a (60-minute) mandatory information session (currently all via ZOOM). RSVP required - Email RSVPDHadvising@hacc.edu to reserve your seat. Space is limited and sessions fill quickly. When you RSVP include your name, ID, email address and which session. Download Fall 2021 Dental Hygiene Mandatory Application Information Session letter.
- Mon, October 11, 2021, 8:30 am
- Mon, November 8, 2021, 6:30 pm
- Mon, November 29, 2021, 8:30 am
- Mon, January 10, 2022, 8:30 am
- Download the Competencies for Entry into the Profession of Dental Hygiene
- Download the Dental Hygienist Shadowing Form - send forms to RSVPDHadvising@hacc.edu
- Download the Verification of Clinical Dental Assisting Hours Form (pdf) - send forms to RSVPDHadvising@hacc.edu
- Download immunization requirements for the dental hygiene program
- Download High School Graduation Verification Information (pdf)
Is the program accredited?
The program is accredited by The Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association (CODA).
- View Third Party Comments here. (pdf)
- Learn why accreditation from the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) matters. (pdf)
Can I advance my education?
- This program leads directly to an occupation
- Students can pursue
- Learn more about Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary Program (EFDA).
What are the program goals?
- Download the Program Mission Statement (pdf).
What is the most current (2020) program effectiveness data?
- Five-year completion rate 85%
- Program performance:
- National board exams (five years) 94% success rate at second attempt is 100%
- CDCA Clinical examination 90% pass rate first attempt
- CDCA Written examination 100% pass rate first attempt
- Job placement 100%
How can I get more information?
- View a list of available scholarships.
- Review the CODA Complaint Policy.
- Download HACC's Dental Treatment Facility.
- Download the Program Faculty and Staff (pdf).
Dental Hygiene Program Office
Select Medical Health Education Pavilion (SMHEP), Room 104
HACC Harrisburg Campus
1 HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Mail clinical program addendum to the above address Attention: DH Secretary.