CVT-Cardiac Sonography - Associate in Science (AS) (3530)
Heart disease is the number one killer of men and women. Do you want to help address this issue?
If you enjoy working with others and you are looking for a position in the healthcare field that takes advantage of your strong technology skills, cardiac sonography may be a good fit. A cardiac sonographer uses ultrasound waves to produce, record and evaluate ultrasound images of the heart.
When you receive your Associate in Science (AS) in Cardiovascular Technology – Sonography, you will be ready to enter the healthcare field as a cardiac sonographer and able to work in health care facilities, physician practices and other specialized facilities.
This program and career track could be ideal if:
- You have strong technical skills
- You work well with individuals.
- You are detail-oriented and able to follow directions.
- You have the ability to think critically and problem-solve
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program prepares you to enter the workforce as a diagnostic cardiac sonographer. Diagnostic cardiac sonographers use high frequency sound waves to produce, record and evaluate ultrasound images of the heart, great vessels and surrounding anatomy. Today’s cardiac sonographers must be proficient in different ultrasound modalities, including M-mode, two-dimensional, Doppler and color Doppler imaging. Emerging technologies in the field are 3-D, 3-D transesophageal echocardiography and strain rate imaging. From our highly trained professors, you will learn these skills and more.
Our program is selective, which means that you must meet special entry requirements that go beyond your standard admission criteria for HACC. Before starting the clinical portion of the program, you must complete the following items at your own expense:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI background check
- Physical examination and immunizations
- Drug and alcohol screens
- CPR certification
At the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Prepare competent entry-level cardiovascular technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains for adult echocardiography
- Be knowledgeable in anatomy, pathology, physiology and technical methods required for entry-level cardiac sonographers
- Possess problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical abilities
- Possess the professional and ethical characteristics of a healthcare provider
- Possess effective communication skills
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of professional growth, continuing education and professional certification
- Possess the knowledge and skills required of an entry-level adult cardiac sonographer
Our program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Yes! Our program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, but transfer opportunities are available if you wish to continue your education. Our degree programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Your transfer options include:
|Saint Francis University - Francis Worldwide:||Cardiovascular Technology-Cardiac Sonography (A.A.S.) (pdf)|
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how you can apply.
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime online. When enrolling into our this program, you must apply to the non-clinical component of the program first. Therefore, please use program code 3530. This specific code ensures you apply to your intended program.