Learn more about our Cardiac Sonographer Associate in Science Degree program.
Complete the clinical application (online using Survey Monkey). The application is available online using Survey Monkey spring 2018 for a fall 2018 clinical start. Use this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CVT_Son_App The deadline to apply is May 1. Application and Mandatory Information Session email - Jan. 19, 2018
NEW - Vascular sonography - CVAS 235 will be offered Spring 2017 Wednesday from 6-9 p.m. at the Lancaster Campus.
CVT changes for Fall 2018 letter (pdf) - Aug. 15, 2017
What does a cardiac sonographer do?
Cardiac sonographers have various duties. They:
- operate ultrasound equipment to create diagnostic images proving normal versus abnormal cardiac pathology.
- develop differential diagnoses based on patient history and examination findings.
- are proficient in various ultrasound modalities, including M-mode, 2-Dimensional, Spectral Doppler, Color flow Doppler imaging, 3D imaging, strain and strain rate images.
Where do cardiac sonographers work?
Cardiac sonographers work:
- In hospitals
- In outpatient diagnostic centers
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf) for a list of estimated expenses.
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion you:
- will earn a Cardiovascular Technology – Cardiac Sonography Associate in Science Degree
- are eligible to sit for these exams:
- Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
- Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) through Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
- Download a list of Required Courses. The list of required courses includes a sample schedule (pdf, rev 4/13).;
- HACC holds CVT classes at the Lancaster campus. Prerequisite courses are offered at other campuses and sites.
- We prepare students during the first two semesters on campus to enter a clinical assignment with the ability to perform a complete echocardiogram:
- image acquisition, measuring appropriate images (2D, M-Mode and Doppler)
- completion of the technologist impression/preliminary report for the physician based on images acquired during the examination.
- Students should be prepared to attend clinicals 32-40 hours each week during the assigned clinical rotation from January through August (the final two semesters of the clinical program).
- HACC assigns clinical rotations within 90 miles of the Lancaster campus. Several hospitals in the Lancaster, York, Harrisburg and Philadelphia areas are affiliated with the program.
- You need your own transportation to attend clinicals and field trips.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. Work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- Download the Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf).
- Meet with a health career advisor.
- Complete the clinical application (online using Survey Monkey). The application is available online using Survey Monkey spring 2018 for a fall 2018 clinical start. Use this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CVT_Son_App The deadline to apply is May 1. Application and Mandatory Information Session email
Is the program accredited?
The CVT program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Can I advance my education in this field?
- This program leads directly to an occupation.
- Enroll in HACC's Pediatric Cardiac Sonography and/or Vascular Sonography courses
- Students can pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in a health related field in order to transition into a management, education or industry position:
- Franklin University offers a BS in Allied Healthcare Management
- Shippensburg University offers a BS in Healthcare Administration
- Immaculata University offers an accelerated BA in Health Care Management. They offer classes in accelerated format at HACC's Lancaster Campus
What are the program goals?
Program goals are to prepare students to:
- be competent entry-level cardiovascular technologists
- demonstrate competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains for adult echocardiography
What is the most current (2014-2016) program effectiveness data?
- program completion rate —69%
- Program performance on national board exam —82%
- Job placement —81%
How can I get more information?
- Visit Career InfoNet for information on CVT.
- Visit Career InfoNet for information on diagnostic medical sonography.
- Visit American Society of Echocardiography.
- Visit Alliance of Cardiovascular Professionals. Select "Careers" at the top of the page.
- Visit Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Visit American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers.
- Download the FAQ (pdf, rev May 1, 2013)
- Download the Career Brochure From Sloan Career Cornerstone Center (pdf).
- Download the CVT Student Handbook (pdf, 2015)
Who can I contact for more information?
Cardiac Sonography Program Office
HACC Lancaster Campus
East Building, Room 207
1641 Old Philadelphia Pike
Lancaster, PA 17602