General Studies - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (7606)
You may have a specific career goal that requires a broad set of skills in which specifec-designed programs of study are not available in regular programs, or you are undecided on your career path. If that describes you, then perhaps our General Studies Associates in Applied Science (AAS) program is for you!
Our admissions counselors are eager to help you learn more about our General Studies program.
Our General Studies program is designed to offer a level of flexibility that is not available in other programs, but does require some careful planning to ensure that your career needs are met.
In this program you will gain a foundation in knowledge and skills within seven majors areas of general education:
- Technology Literacy
- Critical Thinking
- Cultural Awareness
Students select courses in the Humanities and Arts, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Mathematics, Natural and Physical Sciences, Computer Literacy, and Wellness round out your curriculum, you are then able to select 30-credits of coursework tailored to address your career needs and interests. Program electives are selected from courses 100-level or above.
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our professors understand that you may not yet know the direction you want to go with your education. We designed our General Studies program to give you a well-rounded foundation that will help you find your passion. It is important that you select your courses in consultation with your advisor to make sure that courses selected meet your career goals. It is also important that you enroll in this program as soon as you can or, at least, after you have completed the first fifteen credits of study. No “0” level courses are applicable for graduation.
After completing our program and receiving your associate degree, you will know how to:
- Appropriately and correctly use numerical data appropriate to the task
- Create and express ideas in speaking and writing in a clear, organized manner appropriate for the intended audience
- Problem solve, create and evaluate through the following general education goals: information literacy, technology literacy, cultural awareness, communication and quantitative literacy
- Effectively use and apply technology appropriate to the task
- Access, evaluate and cite sources to meet information needs
- Investigate issues related to global interdependence and reflect upon their impact as global citizens
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
After graduating from our two-year General Studies program, you can choose to enter the workforce or transfer your courses to another school.
Affordably YOURS, our programs are flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has their own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Browse the list below to find the transfer options for students in the General Studies program:
|Mansfield University of PA:||Nutrition and Dietetics (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||General Studies into Applied Engr. and Tech. Management or Tech. and Engr. Education (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||General Studies into Middle Level (4-8) Educ English, Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||General Studies into Early Childhood Educ. (PREK-4) and Special Educ. (PREK-8) Dual Prior Fall 2019 (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Mathematics Secondary Education Certification (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||English Secondary Education Certification (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Social Studies Secondary Education Certification (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Human Development & Family Studies (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||American Studies (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Information Sciences & Technology (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Security & Risk Analysis (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Science (pdf)|
|Penn State Mont Alto:||Program to Program Agreements (pdf)|
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Communications into Human Communication Studies or Communications/Journalism (pdf)|
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||Health and Physical Education Teaching Certification (pdf)|
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||English Secondary Education Certification (pdf)|
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||History Secondary Education Certfication (pdf)|
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||Social Work (pdf)|
|York College of Pennsylvania:||Early Childhood-Elementary Education, (PK-4) and Early Childhood/Special Education (pdf)|
You can apply for the General Studies program anytime by submitting your application on our website. We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. Please include the program code 7606, which is unique to General Studies with your application. This code will ensure you apply for the correct program.
Whether you want to enter the workforce after receiving your associate degree or transfer to a specific program at a four-year school, HACC’s General Studies program can help you begin reaching your goals. Our admission counselors can help you learn more about the program requirements, or you can request more information before enrolling. Start YOUR career with HACC today.