Environmental Science - Associate in Science (AS) (3046)
Do you care about protecting our natural resources like clean air, water and soil, finding renewable energy solutions to the energy crisis, or protecting our native species and ecosystems? Our Environmental Science Program is YOUR first step toward studying the impacts that road, dams and developments have on the environment.
With our small class sizes, hands-on labs and experienced faculty, you will learn the major scientific concepts and latest technological advances to successfully transfer to a four-year institution. In fact, if you enter dual admission at Shippensburg University, York College or Central Penn College before completing 30 credits at HACC, you are guaranteed admission as a junior at these schools once you complete your HACC degree.
Students who thrive in this program are passionate about the environment, can communicate effectively and have good listening and critical thinking skills.
Read more to learn how HACC’s Environment Science Program may be YOUR perfect fit!
Once you have received your Associates in Science (AS) in Environmental Science, you will have the basic science and general education courses to pursue a bachelor’s degree. Graduates of our program have continued their education to work in the following fields:
- Sustainability, sustainable resource management
- Land use or watershed planning
- Pollution prevention
- Waste management;
- Environmental monitoring and clean up
- Air quality
- Water resources and waste water
- Public and environmental health
- Wetlands protection
- Regulatory affairs
- Parks and recreation management
- Research and development, inspection, testing and quality control
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in-demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Through our science and general education courses, you will gain the foundation to continue your education at a four-year school and study ecology, environmental management and science, industrial hygiene, recycling technology or waste management and will be able to select between two concentrated areas of study: Geoscience or Biology.
As you complete our program, you will:
- Effectively communicate scientific information both orally and through written reports and presentations
- Apply the scientific method via data collection and analysis to evaluate scientific problems
- Evaluate scientific principles and sustainability as they relate to the discipline
- Demonstrate the proper use of basic scientific equipment
- Utilize environmental science scholarly resources including the library and web-based resources
- Identify the sources and consequences of major constituents of air, water, and land pollution
- Analyze a variety of timely environmental issues in light of their ecological, social, economic, ethical or cultural implications
- Successfully transfer to a baccalaureate degree program in environmental science or related degree program with a biology emphasis
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Yes! Conveniently YOURS, our two-year degree program is designed so you can transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you can begin at the junior level. Our programs also transfer well to schools outside of the statewide transfer system.
However, each college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
|California University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)|
|East Stroudsburg University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)|
|Elizabethtown College:||Environmental Science into General Science or Environmental Science (pdf)|
|Kutztown University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)|
|Lincoln University:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)|
|Mansfield University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)|
|Millersville University of PA:||Environmental Science into Biology or Earth Science (pdf)|
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Pennsylvania Statewide P2P Agreement (pdf)|
With classes in the spring, summer and fall, you can apply anytime on our website. When you do, make sure you include the program code 3046 with your application. By using this code, you can be sure you’re applying to the correct program.