The Surgical Technologist is an essential surgical team member. We prepare and organize the operating room equipment, surgical instruments and sterile supplies. ST's become a "third hand" to surgeons by assisting at the surgical field. The best surgical technologists are detail-oriented and have excellent dexterity.
Check out our Surgical Technology Video!
Surgical technologists work in hospitals, physician offices, outpatient and same- day surgery centers. Our program leads straight into an occupation.
The U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates employment will grow 15% from 2014 to 2024, much faster than average.
Education advancement opportunities are available to you. HACC partners with University of Phoenix. You can earn a Bachelor of Science in Health Management in as little as 13 months. Pursuing a leadership degree will prepare graduates for management, education or administrative careers.
Franklin, Shippensburg and Immaculata University offer advancement options in healthcare management as well.
Program Director: Emily Simms 717-221-1321 email@example.com
Admissions Counselor: 800-222-4222 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Aid: 800-222-4222
General Advising Appointments: 717-780-2498 email@example.com
Program Specific Advising Appointments: 717-221-1392
Helpful Advising Information: ST Advising Video
About The Program
Applied Science Degree, Surgical Technology
- 61 credit A.A.S that combines clinical and didactic coursework
- CST Certification/ National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
- complete exam before graduation
- graduation is not dependent upon passing the NBSTSA exam.
- provides evidence to employers, colleagues and the general public you meet national standards.
- often a condition of employment, a route to higher pay and a source of nationwide recognition
- Program Estimated Expenses
Program Goals for Students
- Apply critical thinking skills pertinent to the practice of surgical technology (cognitive domain).
- Perform during complex surgical procedures, appropriate for their educational sequence (psychomotor domain).
- Exhibit professionalism consistent with HACC and employer standards (affective domain).
- Become certified surgical technologists (CST)
- Download Required Courses
- Prerequisite courses offered at other campuses and on-line
- Surgical Technology courses only offered at Harrisburg
- Clinical externships completed throughout our service area
Use the online application to apply for admission to HACC. This is the first step to enrolling in credit courses to get a degree. After you apply, you will receive a letter in the mail which contains your student H number and email.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your qualifications for student loans.
HACC operates with open admissions by offering admittance to all students who apply to the college. This does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the ST program. Your advisor will assist you with your first semester course selection.
After completing your first semester at HACC, call Ms. Tracey at 717-221-1392 to schedule a 1 hour advising appointment with PD, Emily Simms.
- Every Fall Semester- application window opens
- Must attend ST Information session held in the Fall
- Held on Harrisburg Campus/ Currently on Zoom
- RSVP required
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- include your name, HACCID, phone number and email address
- you will receive Zoom connection information after RSVPing
- September 21, 2021, 3-4:15 pm
- October 20, 2021, 5-6:15 pm
- Application is online using Survey Monkey
- Check back in Fall 2021 for link
- Must have met with Ms. Simms and attended Information Session for program eligibility.
A process used to recognize educational programs for a level of performance, integrity, and quality. Our Surgical Technology program is accredited by CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the ARC/STSA. Although many schools offer similar degree options, not all schools are accredited.
Program Accrediting Body Contact Information:
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
9355 - 113th St. N, #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
Phone: 727-210-2350 Fax: 727-210-2354
Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA)
6 W. Dry Creek Circle, Suite #110 Littleton, CO 80120
Phone: (303) 694-9262 Fax: (303) 741-3655
- 5 Year Pass Rate on the NBSTSA Certified Surgical Technology Exam (CST) - 94 % (2016-2020)
- 5 Year Job Placement - 95% (2016-2020)
- 2020: 100% completion, 83% CST Exam pass rate.
- 2019: 100% completion, 100% CST Exam pass rate.
Where can I get more information?
- Download Frequently Asked Questions
- View Preparing the Sterile Field
- National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
- Career Infonet
Surgical Tech Program Office
HACC Harrisburg Campus Blocker Hall, Room 101
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110 717-221-1392