Learn more about our Surgical Technologist Associate in Applied Science Degree program and how to apply for clinicals.
Complete your clinical application online using SurveyMonkey for late Spring 2021 - Check back for link. You must have met with the program director and attended a mandatory information session to be eligible. Deadline for applications is October 25.
What do surgical technologists do?
Surgical technologists have various duties. They:
- prepare the operating room by selecting and opening sterile supplies
- operate sterilizers, lights, suction machines, electrosurgical units, and diagnostic equipment
- help prepare patients for surgery by providing support and observing vital signs
- pass instruments, sutures, and sponges during surgery
- may hold retractors or instruments, sponge or suction the operative site, or cut suture materials as directed by the surgeon
Check out our surgical technology video!
Where do surgical technologists work?
Surgical technologists work in:
- Outpatient surgical centers
- Private physician offices
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf).
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion, you will:
- earn a Surgical Technology Associate in Applied Science Degree
- be required to take the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) examination prior to graduation.
- Graduation is not dependent upon passing the NBSTSA exam.
- Certification provides evidence to employers, colleagues and the general public you meet national standards. It is often a condition of employment, a route to higher pay and a source of nationwide recognition.
What are the required courses?
- Download Required Courses (pdf).
- Surgical Technology courses are offered at the Harrisburg Campus. Prerequisite courses are offered at other campuses and sites and on-line.
- Clinical externships can be completed in health care facilities throughout our service area, including Lancaster, York, Lebanon and Gettysburg.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. Work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- Download Admission Criteria, Essential Qualifications and Shadow Form
- Attend a Surgical Technology Information Session held on the HARRISBURG CAMPUS (currently only via ZOOM) during your first semester at HACC - RSVP required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org - include your name, HACCID, phone number and email address. You will receive Zoom connection information after RSVPing.
- Monday, September 21, 10 am - Via Zoom
- Wednesday, October 14, 3 pm - Via Zoom
- If you are a pre-surgical technology student, you are required to meet with Emily Simms email@example.com, the Program Director, who will guide you through the application process. Call 717-221-1392 to schedule your appointment.
- Complete your clinical application online using SurveyMonkey for late Spring 2021 September 30, 2020. CHECK BACK for link.
Is the program accredited?
The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Can I advance my education in this field?
- This program leads directly to an occupation.
- Students can pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in a health related field in order to transition into a management, education or industry position.
- Franklin University offers a BS in Allied Healthcare Management.
- Shippensburg University offers a BS in Healthcare Administration.
- Immaculata University offers an accelerated BA in Health Care Management. They offer classes in accelerated format at HACC's Lancaster Campus.
What are the program goals?
The program goals are to prepare students to:
- become certified surgical technologists (CST)
- become competent entry-level surgical technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
What is the most current (2019) program effectiveness data?
- Five-year program completion rate —69 % (2015-2019)
- Program performance on national board exam (five years) —97% (2015-2019)
- Job placement (5 years) —100% (2015-2019)
- 2019: 100% completion, 100% certification exam pass rate.
- 2018: 64% completion, 86% certification exam pass rate, 100% job placement.
Where can I get more information?
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact an Admissions Counselor, by phone at 800-ABC-HACC, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Surgical Tech Program Office
HACC Harrisburg Campus Blocker Hall, Room 101
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110