Nurse - RN
Learn about our Nursing Associate in Science Degree (ADN) (RN) program.
All potential nursing students begin in the Pre-Health Professions Program. Students may apply for admission into the Registered Nursing Program or Practical Nursing Program once they meet the requirements to apply. Students will discuss these admission requirements as part of their advising process.
Clinical Application - See complete clinical admission information - Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications.
To apply, you must:
If you have NURSING courses to transfer in from another school - please see this procedure (pdf) and complete the form linked in the document. Transcript evaluation will not be considered with courses in progress.
We strongly recommend attending a nursing information session before you apply for clinicals. See below for dates and times.
Learn more about the TEAS test here. Includes link to the ATI website to register, remote proctoring, contact information, study groups and TEAS information sessions.
- The TEAS test was updated to Version 7 June 2022.
- Beginning in fall of 2023 ONLY Version 7 tests will be accepted.
- TEAS version 7 scores are valid for 3 years.
How to meet with a HACC advisor - https://www.hacc.edu/Students/AdvisingCounseling/index.cfm
Nursing Information Sessions - Please RSVP below and attend!
Get answers to all your nursing questions and hear about the following. Sessions last about 2 hours - one hour presentation followed by a question/answer period. Sessions are a general overview and information is given regarding programs and admissions for all campuses.
- Nursing careers
- HACC's programs
- Time commitment
- Essential Qualifications/Background Checks/Health Forms
- Application process
|Date||Time||Director||Email for RSVP/Registration (required)|
|Oct. 12, 2023||3 p.m.||Liebemail@example.com|
|Oct. 26, 2023||4 p.m.||LaRuefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nov. 7, 2023||4 p.m.||Baueremail@example.com|
|Nov. 16, 2023||4 p.m.||LaRuefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dec. 12, 2023||1 p.m.||Liebemail@example.com|
|Dec. 18, 2023||6 p.m.||Donellfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jan. 4, 2024||4 p.m.||Baueremail@example.com|
|Jan. 25, 2024||4 p.m.||LaRuefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Feb. 5, 2024||4 p.m.||Liebemail@example.com|
|Feb. 22, 2024||4 p.m.||LaRuefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|March 11, 2024||6 p.m.||Donellemail@example.com|
|March 12, 2024||1 p.m.||Bauerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|April 8, 2024||6 p.m.||Donellemail@example.com|
|April 16, 2024||1 p.m.||Bauerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|May 7, 2024||1 p.m.||Liebemail@example.com|
|May 9, 2024||4 p.m.||Donellfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|June 3, 2024||6 p.m.||Donellemail@example.com|
|June 24, 2024||6 p.m.||Donellfirstname.lastname@example.org|
- Promotes health, prevents disease and helps patients cope with illness
- Advocates and educates patients, families and communities
- Provides and coordinates patient care
- Observes, assesses and records symptoms, reactions and progress
- Has a good knowledge of human biological sciences, math and problem solving
- Works well with others as part of a team
Learn more about a career in nursing (Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook).
Where do nurses (RNs) work?
Nurses work in many varied settings, including:
- Hospitals, rehab centers and long-term care centers
- Outpatient clinics and surgical centers
- Home health, schools and industry
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated expenses (pdf).
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion, you will:
- earn a Nursing Associate in Science Degree (ADN)
- be eligible to sit for the RN licensure exam (NCLEX-RN®) administered by the PA State Board of Nursing
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
- Download a list of Course requirements/suggested schedule - includes evening program information (pdf).
HACC offers full-time day and part-time programs:
- The full-time day program is at Gettysburg, Harrisburg and Lancaster campuses.
- The part-time program is at Harrisburg, Lancaster and York campuses.
- You can take general education (prerequisite) courses at other campuses and sites.
Does the HACC Nursing Program Accept Transfer Students from other Nursing Programs?
- Yes, the HACC Nursing Program does accept transfer students from other nursing programs.
- Please click this link to view the transfer process/requirements
- Students requesting transfer must meet and complete all transfer requirements by the application deadlines.
- Schedule an appointment with Counseling and Advising to begin the transfer process and to complete the external transfer form.
Is the program accredited?
- The Associate Degree Registered Nursing Program at Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College), located at ONE HACC Drive, Harrisburg PA 17110-2999 is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326 (Phone: 404-975-5000), www.acenursing.org
- This program was initially accredited in January 1987.
- The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners (September 2019) for the Associate Degree Registered Nursing program is Continuing Accreditation.
- This program was initially accredited in January 1987.
- You may view the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this program at Search ACEN Programs – Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (acenursing.org)
- View the disclosure statement for ACEN (pdf)
What is the most current program student achievement data? (NCLEX Pass Rates, Completion Rates and End of Program Outcomes Data) (pdf)
Can I advance my education in this field?
- You can pursue a Bachelor's degree with a major in nursing (BSN). You can also pursue a masters or doctorate degree.
- You can earn your BSN from:
- Albright College
- Alvernia College
- Capella University
- Carlow University
- Central Penn College
- Chamberlain College of Nursing
- Drexel University and Online
- Eastern Mennonite University
- Eastern University —St. David's
- Edenboro University
- Grand Canyon University
- Harrisburg University
- Immaculata University —Accelerated and Online
- Indiana University of PA
- Messiah University
- Millersville University
- Penn College of Technology
- Penn State University —Harrisburg, Mont Alto and York
- Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- University of Phoenix
- York College
- HACC has dual-admission agreements with Millersville University and Eastern Mennonite University.
- These agreements ensure seamless transmission to completion of a BSN within 12-18 months after graduation.
- Classes are held at Millersville University, Eastern Mennonite University and HACC's York and Harrisburg campuses.
- University representatives are available on HACC campuses monthly to discuss the programs
- For specific questions or information contact a nursing advisor.
How can I get more information?
- Download the Nursing Student Handbook (pdf). (includes dosage calculations requirements)
- Download Nursing program conceptual framework (pdf)
- Visit allnurses.com.
- Visit the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
- Visit the PA State Board of Nursing.
Who can I contact for more information?
Nursing Program Office — Gettysburg Campus
731 Old Harrisburg Road, Room 300
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Nursing Program Office — Harrisburg Campus
Select Medical, Room 218
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Nursing Program Office — Lancaster Campus
Main Building, Room 215
1641 Old Philadelphia Pike
Lancaster, PA 17602
Nursing Program Office —York Campus
Leader Building, Room 150
2010 Pennsylvania Avenue
York, PA 17404