Nurse - RN
Learn about our Nursing Associate in Science Degree (ADN) (RN) program.
All potential nursing students begin in the Pre-Health Professions Program. Students may apply for admission into the Registered Nursing Program or Practical Nursing Program once they meet the requirements to apply. Students will discuss these admission requirements as part of their advising process.
COVID-19 Immunization Requirements of Clinical Facilities
Apply for Clinicals
Summer 2023 York clinical application using SurveyMonkey will be here in January 2023. The Fall 2023 Gettysburg, Harrisburg and Lancaster application will be here April 1, 2023.
You may submit ONE application for each application cycle. (In other words you cannot re-test and use a newer higher TEAS score once you have submitted your application.) If you did not take the TEAS at HACC, go to the ATI website and have your score sent to HACC PRIOR TO THE APPLICATION DEADLINE. Beginning with the Fall 2023 application, only TEAS Version 7 will be accepted.
To apply, you must:
- Have taken the TEAS and scored (overall / composite / percentage) 70 or higher
- Highest TEAS score (70 or higher) as of the application date is used to calculate your points
- Score must be sent to HACC (on the ATI website) (program/campus doesn't make a difference
- Have an overall GPA of 2.5 by the first day of the first clinical term
- Complete Biology 121 (A&P 1) with a C or higher by the first day of the first clinical term
- Be eligible to enroll in (or have completed) English 101 and Math 103 or 202
- Have your high school transcripts on file in Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Met with a nursing advisor
- See complete clinical admission information - Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications.
We strongly recommend attending a nursing information session before you apply for clinicals. See below for dates and times.
Learn more about the TEAS test here. Includes link to the ATI website to register, remote proctoring, contact information, study groups and TEAS information sessions.
- The TEAS test was updated to Version 7 June 2022.
- For Summer 2023 - York, either the Version 6 or Version 7 will be accepted.
- Beginning in fall of 2023 ONLY Version 7 tests will be accepted.
How to meet with a HACC advisor - https://www.hacc.edu/Students/AdvisingCounseling/index.cfm
Have you created your parallel pathway yet?
Nursing Information Sessions - Please RSVP below and attend!
Get answers to all your nursing questions and hear about the following. Sessions last about 2 hours - one hour presentation followed by a question/answer period. Sessions are a general overview and information is given regarding programs and admissions for all campuses.
- Nursing careers
- HACC's programs
- Time commitment
- Essential Qualifications/Background Checks/Health Forms
- Application process
NURSING Information Sessions - All sessions via Zoom. ALLOW AT LEAST TWO HOURS!
RSVP (registration) required. After RSVP'ing, students will receive details on how to connect to Zoom. Please login before session is scheduled to begin. WHEN YOU RSVP, be sure to include your name, HACCID and the date and time you wish to attend.
OR View a recorded information session (Recorded 10/3/22) - 1 hr, 9 min - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JCaGgrnjA
- Promotes health, prevents disease and helps patients cope with illness
- Advocates and educates patients, families and communities
- Provides and coordinates patient care
- Observes, assesses and records symptoms, reactions and progress
- Has a good knowledge of human biological sciences, math and problem solving
- Works well with others as part of a team
Learn more about a career in nursing (Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook).
Where do nurses (RNs) work?
Nurses work in many varied settings, including:
- Hospitals, rehab centers and long-term care centers
- Outpatient clinics and surgical centers
- Home health, schools and industry
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated expenses (pdf).
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion, you will:
- earn a Nursing Associate in Science Degree (ADN)
- be eligible to sit for the RN licensure exam (NCLEX-RN®) administered by the PA State Board of Nursing
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. You begin as a pre-health professions (AS) student and work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- You are required to meet with a Health Careers advisor and complete general education courses before applying for the clinical portion.
- Download clinical application information and deadlines - Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf).
- You must submit (to the Admissions Office) official high school transcripts (must contain your graduation date) or GED to email@example.com.
Does the HACC Nursing Program Accept Transfer Students from other Nursing Programs?
- Yes, the HACC Nursing Program does accept transfer students from other nursing programs.
- Please click this link to view the transfer process/requirements
- Students requesting transfer must meet and complete all transfer requirements by the application deadlines.
- Schedule an appointment with Counseling and Advising to begin the transfer process and to complete the external transfer form.
Is the program accredited?
- The Associate Degree Registered Nursing Program at Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College), located at ONE HACC Drive, Harrisburg PA 17110-2999 is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326 (Phone: 404-975-5000), www.acenursing.org
- This program was initially accredited in January 1987.
- The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners (September 2019) for the Associate Degree Registered Nursing program is Continuing Accreditation.
- You may view the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this program at http://www.acenursing.us/accreditedprograms/programSearch.htm
- View the disclosure statement for ACEN (pdf)
What is the most current program student achievement data? (NCLEX Pass Rates, Completion Rates and End of Program Outcomes Data) (pdf)
Can I advance my education in this field?
- You can pursue a Bachelor's degree with a major in nursing (BSN). You can also pursue a masters or doctorate degree.
- You can earn your BSN from:
- Albright College
- Alvernia College
- Capella University
- Carlow University
- Central Penn College
- Chamberlain College of Nursing
- Drexel University and Online
- Eastern Mennonite University
- Eastern University —St. David's
- Edenboro University
- Grand Canyon University
- Harrisburg University
- Immaculata University —Accelerated and Online
- Indiana University of PA
- Messiah University
- Millersville University
- Penn College of Technology
- Penn State University —Harrisburg, Mont Alto and York
- Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- University of Phoenix
- York College
- HACC has dual-admission agreements with Millersville University and Eastern Mennonite University.
- These agreements ensure seamless transmission to completion of a BSN within 12-18 months after graduation.
- Classes are held at Millersville University, Eastern Mennonite University and HACC's York and Harrisburg campuses.
- University representatives are available on HACC campuses monthly to discuss the programs
- For specific questions or information contact a nursing advisor.
How can I get more information?
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact an Admissions Counselor, by phone at 800-ABC-HACC, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nursing Program Office — Gettysburg Campus
731 Old Harrisburg Road, Room 300
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Nursing Program Office — Harrisburg Campus
Select Medical, Room 218
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Nursing Program Office — Lancaster Campus
Main Building, Room 215
1641 Old Philadelphia Pike
Lancaster, PA 17602
Nursing Program Office —York Campus
Leader Building, Room 136
2010 Pennsylvania Avenue
York, PA 17404