Gerontology - Diploma (0231)
Do you enjoy working with the aging population and want to promote their quality of life? Do you currently work in senior facilities and need to enhance your current skill set? Our program will help further enhance the knowledge and skills that you already have or prepare you for the gerontology field by addressing the basic principles and issues within the aging field.
Students who display the following skills are often interested in this program.
- Dedication to learning the latest trends in research and practice
- Enjoys working with others
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving
Valuably YOURS, we offer the ability to earn your Gerontology diploma fully online. Let us be your start in a rewarding career!
Our program helps you to expand you knowledge and employment opportunities within the gerontology field. Graduates are to find entry-level jobs in settings such as:
- nursing homes
- personal care/assisted living communities
- home health care
- senior centers and hospice care
We also offer the opportunity for you to continue your education and earn a certificate or associate degree in gerontology. Or, pursue further study in related areas, such as:
- Allied health
- Social work
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
From our leading professors, you will explore the skills needed for caring for our aging population. As part of the program, you will complete 20 hours of volunteering and gain knowledge in the areas of:
- Allied health
- Mental health
- Social service
By completing our program, you will:
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills
- Utilize current technologies, tools and applications
- Discuss the basic demographics of aging
- Apply basic principles of gerontology to social and health issues
- Recognize differences between normal aging and disease-related aging
- Summarize the physical, mental, social and psychological aspects of aging
- Articulate skills and perspectives necessary to develop an empathetic relationship with an older person
- Identify the need for teamwork to provide optimal care for the aging population
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- Review our new academic maps (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
All the courses within this 17-credit diploma roll into the 30-credit Gerontology certificate. Similarly, all the courses in the 30-credit certificate roll into the 61-credit Gerontology AAS. At each degree completion,you may apply to graduate from that degree. As a result, when you graduate from HACC with an AAS in gerontology, you will also have two other degrees geronotology from HACC!
|Saint Francis University - Francis Worldwide:||Gerontology (A.A.S.) (pdf)|
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, there are more than 200 scholarships available. Please check the eligibility requirements and submit your applications to help reach your academic goals!
You can enroll anytime for classes in the spring, summer and fall. Visit our website and submit your application using the specific program code 0231. This code ensures you apply for the correct program.