Gerontology - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (3476)
Do you enjoy working with the aging population and want to promote their quality of life? If you are a caregiver by nature and want to work in a field that allows you to help others live better, the field of gerontology may be the perfect fit. Our Gerontology Associated in Applied Science (AAS) program is available online and designed to give you the knowledge and skills needed for employment in the field of aging.
Students who display the following skills are often interested in this program.
- Dedication to learning the latest trends in research and practice
- Excellent communication
- Problem solving
- Works well with others
Following graduation from our program, you will be ready to pursue an entry-level position in aging services, such as:
- Long-term care and healthcare administration
- Activities/recreation social services
- Allied health marketing and business
- Community and human services
- Professional organizations
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Conveniently YOURS, our program is offered entirely online and provides you with an in-depth study in global aging, long-term care leadership and management. Your coursework will involve topics, such as:
- Gender and aging
- Global aging
- Long-term care leadership and management
- Life-cycle development
- Communication skills
You will have the opportunity to work with an older adult and explore various careers in aging.
As a graduate of our program, you will have the foundation you need to:
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills
- Utilize current technologies, tools, and applications
- Explore opportunities for further study and workforce development in gerontology fields
- Discuss the basic demographics of aging with emphasis on gender, race, culture, socioeconomic status, work, religion, and ethnicity
- Apply basic principles of gerontology to social and health issues, such as health behavior and health promotion
- Summarize the physical, mental, social and psychological aspects of aging
- Obtain an in-depth understanding of legal and ethical issues related to aging and end of life issues
- Identify the changing landscape of long-term care as well as issues and trends that impact the administration and management of long-term care settings
- Explain gender by identifying the status, roles and experiences of aging men and women in society
- Discuss major topics in gerontology worldwide as well as across cultures and nations
- Identify death and dying cultural attitudes and feelings as well as the psychological stages of the terminally ill
- Articulate effective communication skills and perspectives necessary to develop an empathetic relationship with an older adult person
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
This program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. Should you choose to transfer to a 4-year school, HACC has negotiated an agreement with Bloomsburg that will allow you to transfer with no loss of credits and complete a bachelor’s degree right here in Harrisburg. For other transfer options, check with your advisor or go to our Transfer Services Page.
You can enroll in the spring, summer and fall by visiting our website. When you apply, please make sure you include program code 3476. This unique program code ensures you apply to the correct one.