Electrical Technology - Certificate (4370)
Are you a detail-oriented person who enjoys do-it-yourself projects and working with your hands? Are you a problem-solver and think electrical work is interesting? Do you want to have a career where you do more than sit at a desk?
If these traits describe your personality and interests, you may want to consider a career in the electrical field.
With our small class sizes, accredited curriculum, hands-on labs and experienced faculty, you will learn the concepts and latest technologies to gain employment in this high-demand field.
Don’t just settle for a job, pursue a career in electrical technology!
After graduating from our certificate, you’ll be ready to find employment in the field as a(n):
- Electrical service technician
- Electric installer
- Electric linemen
- Electrician apprentice
- General electrician
- Industrial maintenance technician
- Residential electrician
Those who work in this field demonstrate the following characteristics.
- Desire to work with your hands and strong hand and eye coordination
- Ability to complete projects independently and without supervision
- A wish to work outside of an office environment
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Our hands-on program will focus on electrical theory and codes and development of skills to work as a residential or commercial electrician. You will gain the knowledge and skills through courses that focus on residential, commercial construction and maintenance applications and be exposed to the fundamentals of electrical systems through hands-on laboratory exercises that involve mock wiring of commercial and residential systems.
Our highly-qualified professors will teach you:
- Basic electrical theory
- Blueprint reading
- National Electrical Code (NEC)
- Residential and commercial wiring
- Safety (OSHA-30 & NFPA-70E)
During the program, you also will:
- Demonstrate a variety of technical skills in the electrical field
- Recognize and practice safe and healthy work procedures
- Perform basic electrical mathematical calculations
- Properly and safely handle electrical tools and materials
- Read and interpret blueprints necessary for specified installations
- Interpret the National Electric Code and use it in specific applications
- Demonstrate fundamentals procedures of an electrical system used in residential, commercial and industrial construction
- Solve complex problems of circuit design and analysis
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Our certificate program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education, we encourage you to explore our full list of programs, including the associate degree in electrical technology. When you complete your associate degree, you can continue and transfer credits to a four-year school.
We offer the complete program at our Harrisburg Campus provided you take some of your required coursework through multiple modalities (e.g. Blended, Online and/or Remote Learning). You amy attend full-time or part-time.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
You can enroll in classes in the spring, summer and fall by applying online anytime. When you submit your application, please include program code 4370 to ensure you apply for the correct one.
Future students, we are excited to connect with you and answer your questions. Please choose the option that works best for you to meet with us.
Current HACC students, please contact our Advising Department with any questions.
Meet Jackie: HACC Electrical Technology Alumna Who Gives Back Through Teaching
“I enjoyed my time as a student at HACC so much that I wanted to give back. I was hired as an adjunct instructor in the Electrical Technology Program in 2017. Through teaching, I am able to take what I learned as a student, the knowledge and confidence that my HACC instructors instilled in me and my 15 years of experience in the construction and electrical field (prior to coming to HACC) to do right by my students and guide them. Honestly, it (teaching) is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”
“I chose HACC because they offered classes in the Electrical Technology Degree Program that fit my schedule. The majority of classes can be attended in the evening, which allows students to have a job/career and scheduled classes around their home life while they pursue their education … HACC has very flexible scheduling options as well as great instructors.” - Joshua, HACC Student