Biology (New - Fall 2018): Associate in Science (AS) (3096)
Do you want to help people, fight disease or grow things? Do you enjoy finding the answers to challenging questions? Usually the biology field is of interest to those who want to work with people, plants or animals, have strong math skills and enjoy working with data.
Read more to learn how we can be a part of your journey to pursue your biology goals.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our Biology Associate in Science (AS) program prepares you to transfer to four-year institution that offers a bachelor's degree program in:
- Pre-professional health careers
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in-demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Throughout our program, you will:
- Demonstrate technical communication skills including written, spoken and graphical presentation of scientific data
- Collect, manipulate, analyze and interpret data
- Explain basic principles and concepts of science including the nature of science and scientific ethics as applied to the discipline
- Demonstrate competency in entry-level technology that supports the scientific process
- Apply the scientific method to solve scientific problems
- Utilize discipline-specific scientific scholarly resources such as library and web-based resources
- Conduct biological laboratory exercises using appropriate techniques and instrumentation
What classes will I take?
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Conveniently YOURS, our two-year degree program is a transfer program that is flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you will be able to begin at the junior level. Our programs also transfer well to schools outside of the statewide transfer system. However, each individual college has its own unique program.
We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
|Elizabethtown College:||Biology into Biology Allied Health, Premedical, Biology Secondary Education (pdf)
|Penn State York:||Biology (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
Does HACC offer scholarships?
When can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply online anytime by visiting our website. When you apply, be sure to include the specific program code 3096 to ensure you apply for the correct program.
How can I learn more?
We want to help you succeed. Our experienced biology professors can provide the foundation you need to take your next step. For additional information, please contact an admissions counselor, our department chair Rae Dennis or request more information online.