Web Development and Design - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (1816)
Are you looking for a career that puts your creative abilities to good use? Do you enjoy creating interesting designs for the web and building websites? If this sounds like you, a career in web development and design might be an exciting path to pursue.
Our Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in web development and design includes three special areas from which you can choose: Interactive Web Media, Web Application Development, and General Web Studies.
After graduating from our Web Development and Design Program, you have the option of entering the workforce to work for a business, government agency or web consulting firm as a:
- Web application developer and programmer
- Web designer
- Web developer
- Web interactive media specialist
- Web producer
- Web UX (user experience) designer
This program may be an ideal fit if you:
- Enjoy learning new technologies and processes
- Communicate well and are able to creatively solve problems
- Describe yourself as organized
- Possess good time-management skills
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
In our Web Development and Design Program, you’ll gain the skills you need to be successful in the field. You'll gain a foundation in:
- website creation
- web design
- application development
- web technologies
Our curriculum allows you to select electives from two categories:
- Web Design - electives in graphic editing, user experience and user interface design, as well as front-end development used to create visually appealring and usable websites.
- Web Development - in programming to build data-driven websites and mobile applications.
Lastly, our program provides you with a capstone experience. This will give you the chance to create a professional website for a client, as well as a porfolio of our work throughout the program.
After completing the program, you will be able to:
- Build professional websites and web applications that optimize the user experience for various uses, platforms and accessibiilty
- Manage web content with a Content Management System (CMS)
- Design websites and web graphics that are visually attractive and engaging
- Develop web and mobile applications that are dynamic, interactive and data-driven
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Absolutely! Our associate degree programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper classes at HACC.
You can complete the entire program online.
Yes! We offer many scholarships through the HACC Foundation. Each scholarship has specific eligibility requirements. To learn how to apply, please visit hacc.edu/Scholarships.
We hold classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime online. When you submit your application, please include program code 1816 to make sure you apply to the correct program.
Future students, we are excited to connect with you and answer your questions. Please choose the option that works best for you to meet with us.
Current HACC students, please contact our Advising Department with any questions.
“I feel so understood and I get that feeling of wanting to learn more because of this amazing community college. I chose HACC to get my second degree in Web development and design, because I know that HACC is full of people who have empathy in real life and I want to change the world and better it. HACC has so many resources that help you grow even more and it changed my life. I struggle with disabilities and situations where it makes it hard to accomplish anything, but I accomplish so much for myself when I do a course here. I believe HACC drives one to their true purpose” – Catherine, HACC Student