Physical Science - Associate in Science (AS) (3076)
Do you like to figure out how things work? Do you want to know what’s inside the earth? Have you wondered how to predict weather? Students who are detail-oriented, enjoy critical thinking, communicate effectively and have a natural inclination to the science discipline are often drawn to a career in physical science. Within the physical sciences, you can select between two options of study: Geology or General Physical Science.
Our physical science program is the first step for many who want to pursue a career in a number of positions, including astronomy, geology, meteorology, as well as physics.
Following HACC, individuals have pursued a bachelor’s degree and found jobs:
- astronomical research and/or planetarium operations (astronomy)
- the petroleum and mining industries or within a government agency (geology)
- a weather researcher or broadcasting at the National Weather Service
- within research and development at a university or in private industry
- a national laboratory
- inspection, testing, quality control, or other production-related jobs (physics)
- environmental consultant or lawyer.
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in-demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our experienced instructors will help you build the foundation you need to pursue a bachelor’s degree in a specialized physical science area. Our program is structured to allow you to select from two options: Geology or General Physical Sciences. The Geology option is for you if you're intending to go onto pursue bachelor's degrees in Geology or Environmental Science fields. The General Physical Science option is for you if you're intending to pursue a bachelor degrees in Physics, Astronomy, Meteorology, or Physical Science.
Our Physical Science Program will prepare you to:
- Transfer to and succeed in a bachelor’s degree program
- Apply scientific principles and concepts including the scientific method to a variety of problems and situations
- Obtain knowledge of scientific methods accomplishments and how they affect technology, politics and society
- Demonstrate computer literacy in data manipulation, mining and analysis
- Perform technician work in a typical laboratory while following appropriate safety procedures
- Effectively communicate results both orally and through written reports
- Demonstrate information literacy by appropriately vetting online information sources for truthfulness and scientific validity
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Yes! Conveniently YOURS, our program is designed so you can transfer your credits to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each four-year college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper classes at HACC.
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytimeonline . When you complete the application, please include the specific program code 3076. This code ensures you apply for the correct program.