Exercise Science - Associate in Science (AS) (3121)
Are you a natural athlete? Do you enjoy helping others achieve better health? Would you like to help people recover from illness or injury? Then our Exercise Science Program may be right for you.
Our program prepares you to transfer to a four-year program in exercise science, health, exercise physiology, kinesiology, athletic training or a similar program. Many graduates who complete our program and continue to earn their bachelor’s degree work in:
- Health and fitness center program management
- Corporate health and wellness programs
- Health and physical education teaching
- Exercise physiology teaching and research
- Exercise rehabilitation programs
- Youth and adult recreation programs
- Strength and conditioning coaching
If you’re a natural leader and interested in sharing your exercise science knowledge with younger generations, you can also pursue an elementary or secondary education position upon graduation.
Many individuals who pursue the program are:
- Interested in the science behind health
- Physically active
- Interested in helping others improve their health
- A good communicator
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in-demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program includes general education requirements, a basic science and math foundation and science discipline-related courses like: anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology, biomechanics, health and nutrition.
This curriculum will prepare you to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in communicating concepts regarding lifestyle modifications to improve and enhance personal fitness, health, and wellness
- Demonstrate an understanding of the human body’s anatomical and physiological systems as they relate to exercise physiology, kinesiology, and disease
- Determine an area of concentration within the subdisciplines of exercise science in preparation for transfer to a four-year institution
- Locate and critically evaluate relevant scholarly research articles
- Apply theories of motivation and behavior change to develop strategies for improving exercise adoption and adherence
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- Review our new academic maps (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Yes! Our two-year degree program is transferrable and is designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has their own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC. Since the requirements of four-year colleges/universities vary widely, it is essential that you select your intended transfer institution as soon as possible and carefully follow the program described in that college's catalog.
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Exercise Science into Kinesiology (pdf)|
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Exercise Science into Exercise Science (pdf)|
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||Exercise Science (pdf)|
HACC holds classes in the spring, summer and fall. You can apply anytime online at our website. When you submit your application, please include the unique program code 3121 to ensure you enroll in the correct program.
If you’re passionate about health, fitness and educating others, our Exercise Science-Physical Education Program may be the first step to a long and rewarding career. We want to see you achieve YOUR goals and make the world a healthier place. For more information, including your transfer opportunities, please contact an admissions counselor, our science department chair, Rae Dennis, or request more information online today!